News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 12, 2014, 09:17:39 PM
Tomorrow is month 7 sans cigarettes.  I pop the occasional nicotine lozenge every now and then, but that's every few days to take the edge off something, or when I'm dealing with my mother.

Other than that, lung capacity and sense of taste and smell: better.  Waistline: not.

:cool:

Breath easy now. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 12, 2014, 09:17:39 PM
Tomorrow is month 7 sans cigarettes.  I pop the occasional nicotine lozenge every now and then, but that's every few days to take the edge off something, or when I'm dealing with my mother.

Other than that, lung capacity and sense of taste and smell: better.  Waistline: not.

Yep, that--well, that and serious depressive episode--are what knocked me off the wagon.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on April 12, 2014, 09:17:46 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 12, 2014, 09:13:12 PM
I keep seeing that being pushed and wonder who the audience is. People too lazy to take their phones out of their pockets? :unsure:

I'm thinking gadget fetishists, people who like tech status symbols, and uh... dunno.

Still, if people transitioned from fob watches to wrist watches, a similar transition for smart-phones doesn't seem that far fetched.

Basically, if the kids like them it'll work. Then you'll turn into CdM, crankily complaining about young people and their silly affectations.

I guess so. It just seems to me apart from the status symbol of expensive ones, the watch is an outmoded technology (and efforts to combine them with smartphones as an effort to shore up the declining market). Why wear one when your phone does that well enough for you? I could almost see it if it worked independently but I feel like the ones I read about always needed tethering to a smartphone.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

Quote from: garbon on April 12, 2014, 09:26:17 PM

I guess so. It just seems to me apart from the status symbol of expensive ones, the watch is an outmoded technology (and efforts to combine them with smartphones as an effort to shore up the declining market). Why wear one when your phone does that well enough for you? I could almost see it if it worked independently but I feel like the ones I read about always needed tethering to a smartphone.

And the damn kids these days have no respect for what is good.  I remember back in '09 when I got my first smartphone.  Try to tell kids that these days and they just shake their heads.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Do any smartphones/smart watches come with a 10 year, no charge, battery life?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: PDH on April 12, 2014, 09:37:48 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 12, 2014, 09:26:17 PM

And the damn kids these days have no respect for what is good.  I remember back in '09 when I got my first smartphone.  Try to tell kids that these days and they just shake their heads.

I got my first smartphone last year from my work. :lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

Quote from: garbon on April 12, 2014, 09:41:35 PM

:mad:  luddite
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Josquius

I've no clue about watches.
The fancy jewelry sort silvery ones just don't seem right when you're not dressed up.
And sports watches seem a little bit childish.
I always used to wear a watch when I was younger but...yes. My phone has taken over- alas in these days of smart phones and their 2 minute battery life that is a dodgy thing.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: PDH on April 12, 2014, 09:43:17 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 12, 2014, 09:41:35 PM

:mad:  luddite

I think I posted about how AT&T gave me a new phone this year for free (no add'l contract time) as they were concerned my phone wouldn't work on their upgraded network. :blush:

DGuller

I'm all for utilitarianism, but for some reason the one old-fashioned habit I haven't managed to kick is wearing a watch.  And not a practical digital watch either, but a shiny one with rotating arrows.

Capetan Mihali

I can't live without my watch.  I rotated through different digital cheapies, picking the least "Ironman"-looking ones, and stuck with one for a while that I bought from a seedy jewelery store on Fulton Market in Brooklyn. 

But then 6 or 7 years ago, I got an analog watch that I love, and have replaced a couple of times since it's so inexpensive.  It's perfect since I can actually tell the time on it (since it uses big Arabic numerals), is thin with a leather band, has the date, water resistant, and doesn't look very conspicuous or fancy.  Only problem is that the ticking is loud enough that it drives me insane when I'm trying to sleep, so I have to put it under a big paperback or in another room at night. :lol:

I feel compelled to check the time frequently, and digging a cell phone out of my pocket just doesn't cut it.  And of course I started wearing a watch long before I had a cell phone, so the habit was there.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

garbon

That sounds a little nuts. ;)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on April 12, 2014, 11:06:16 PM
That sounds a little nuts. ;)

I have a Mr. Jones' "Accurate".

alfred russel

Quote from: Jacob on April 12, 2014, 08:54:12 PM

You do tip at hairdressers, right?

I tip when I pay at the end...I guess she gets some of it?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Syt

I like my watch. It's a Citizen, titanium, solar powered, radio controlled. Meaning it's lightweight and extremely sturdy, I never have to buy batteries, and I never have to set it to the correct time. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.