News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agelastus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 31, 2014, 04:23:58 PM
Where does the Jedi Council get its money? Are they like the state religion of the republic?

I would imagine that 25000+ years of gifts and rewards add up to one hell of an investment fund.

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 31, 2014, 04:23:58 PMIn space battles between capital ships, sometimes they shoot their turbolasers and miss. What happens to those shots? Do they slowly dissipate as they fly through space, or will they eventually hit something light years away twenty years later?

Well. we can see the shots and they seem to be both discrete bolts and travelling sublight.

So I'm with some of the "technical" ("wild ass guessing") sites that suggest the bolts dissolve whenever whatevers containing or shaping the energy charge dissipates.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Valmy

Where does the Jedi Council get its money?

Sales.  They can be very convincing.

*This is the used car you were looking for*
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Valmy on March 31, 2014, 05:27:00 PM

That reminds me. Is there anything more evil than the Jedi mind trick? Using power to deliberately deprive a person of their own will. How is it ok for light side Jedis to do that?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

They are the Gestapo man.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Liep

So it's April first now, and the first new article posted after midnight on my go-to news site reeks bullshit. I wonder why they even bother any more.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 31, 2014, 05:32:03 PM
That reminds me. Is there anything more evil than the Jedi mind trick? Using power to deliberately deprive a person of their own will. How is it ok for light side Jedis to do that?

All states have the power to coerce behavior.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Josephus on March 31, 2014, 04:34:08 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 30, 2014, 09:02:46 PM
I didn't know anyone photographed that.

Pretty sure it was on live tv

You know, I think you're right;  I remember their regime was falling apart live.

Razgovory

Quote from: Savonarola on March 31, 2014, 05:21:45 PM
Where does the Jedi Council get its money? Are they like the state religion of the republic?

In space battles between capital ships, sometimes they shoot their turbolasers and miss. What happens to those shots? Do they slowly dissipate as they fly through space, or will they eventually hit something light years away twenty years later?

Lasers spread out as they move through space, and eventually the beam width will become wide enough so that it will become harmless (and eventually undetectable.) 

The divergence angle is calculated at: 4λ/πd; where λ is the wavelength and d is the beam diameter.  For something preposterously large, say a 1 m diameter green laser  it would gain an additional .5 m radius every 785 Km.  The power going through the same area would disperse at a ratio of πr2

Edit:  While that sounds like a long distance, in the distance between the earth and the sun the beam would dissipate so much that the 1 m beam would be a 190 Km beam and have 3.5*10-11the  power over the same area.

Yeah, lasers would be relatively short range.  I remember reading the practical range for a large array would be around 5k.  They do have the advantage of being very fast.  Heat would be a problem though.  Of course in the movie they have sword fighting space wizards who can block the laser beams with their laser swords, so I don't think that scientific accuracy was a concern.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josephus

Quote from: Valmy on March 31, 2014, 05:27:00 PM

They use it for good. Like allowing Luke to get past Storm Trooper border checks.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Josephus on March 31, 2014, 09:34:25 PM

They use it for good. Like allowing Luke to get past Storm Trooper border checks.

Not for the Storm Trooper.  That shit gets brought up during review, man.

MadImmortalMan

Doing evil in the cause of good is still doing evil.

Obi-Wan is halfway to the dark side himself.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

alfred russel

Star Wars was a PG movie. If they showed Ben using mindtricks to get head from the local hotties, the rating would have been at least R, and think of all the lost toy revenue from the children that couldn't get in.

You know he was doing it too. It isn't like an eccentric old guy living in a desert was going to score otherwise. Imo, the failure to show this critical element of the story was every bit as egregious as the more famous scene of Greedo shooting first.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Grey Fox

I have a Mono Injury, I think I may have thorn my meniscus in my right knee.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.