News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Burning fossil fuels like a motherfucker is apparently fine, but when the effects hit you it's whine time. Pathetic.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

NY Times had an article Sunday on American linguistic divisions.  I skipped it, but it had a map on one that I'd never thought of before: yard sale vs. garage sale.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 23, 2013, 12:59:04 PM
NY Times had an article Sunday on American linguistic divisions.  I skipped it, but it had a map on one that I'd never thought of before: yard sale vs. garage sale.

Tag sale.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

frunk

Wikipedia lists garage sale, attic sale, garbage sale, junk sale, lawn sale, moving sale, patio sale, rummage sale, tag sale, thrift sale, or yard sale

Caliga

I hear both "yard sale" and "garage sale" here in KY.  Never heard anyone actually use of the others before (though I have heard of the terms).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

I've heard rummage sale before, but usually for events held at a church or school.

frunk

When I lived in PA I heard garage or yard sale, in CT I only hear tag sale.  I assume it's all the NYC transplants that didn't have garages or yards.

Caliga

So my company is now leading half of the second floor of this building, and my office got moved downstairs on Friday.  We had the entire third floor and the men's room  was therefore exclusive to us and locked to the general public, unlike the men's room on this floor.

Today I walked into the bathroom to take a shit and the center stall was 'out of commission' with shit and TP in the toilet, so I opened the third stall and there was actually a guy in there with his pants down who forgot to lock the stall. :x  For some reason he apologized to me more than I did to him. :hmm:

Anyway, I'll be going back up to the third floor to use the bathroom from here on in.

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on December 23, 2013, 01:43:01 PM
So my company is now leading half of the second floor of this building, and my office got moved downstairs on Friday.  We had the entire third floor and the men's room  was therefore exclusive to us and locked to the general public, unlike the men's room on this floor.

Today I walked into the bathroom to take a shit and the center stall was 'out of commission' with shit and TP in the toilet, so I opened the third stall and there was actually a guy in there with his pants down who forgot to lock the stall. :x  For some reason he apologized to me more than I did to him. :hmm:

Anyway, I'll be going back up to the third floor to use the bathroom from here on in.

You're supposed to tap first.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: frunk on December 23, 2013, 01:42:51 PM
When I lived in PA I heard garage or yard sale, in CT I only hear tag sale.  I assume it's all the NYC transplants that didn't have garages or yards.

This naturally raises the question of where folks without yards or garages put their stuff.

Caliga

Quote from: The Brain on December 23, 2013, 01:46:49 PM
You're supposed to tap first.
Your Scandinavian customs are strange and wonderful to me.

frunk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 23, 2013, 01:51:58 PM
This naturally raises the question of where folks without yards or garages put their stuff.

Sidewalk I would assume.