And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: The Brain on November 04, 2013, 08:50:47 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on November 04, 2013, 08:24:40 AM
I opened my web server this morning and saw the message "There's a cultural revolution at GE!"  I knew some of the executive leadership were walking the capitalist road.   :mad:

(Our latest buzzword is "Culture of simplicity," where they're trying to reduce the needless paperwork and bureaucracy; hence "Cultural revolution.  I'm sure everyone who has worked for a large corporation, or a government agency knows how this is going to turn out.)

Did you engage in intense self-criticism the whole morning?

I discovered I secretly hold bourgeoisie sympathies.   :(
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Liep

The deli close by got new owners and their tuna salad sandwich is amazing.  :mmm:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

frunk

Quote from: Barrister on November 03, 2013, 11:47:23 PM
So the (east indian) neighbors have had Christmas light up on their house the last few days.  It was particularly odd compared to our orange Hallowe'en lights (though they aren't anti-Hallowe'en - they gave the boys full size chocolate bars).

But I think I have it figured out - tonight is Diwali, the Hindu Festivals of Lights.

So do Hindus put up lights for Diwali? :unsure:

Some do, almost all temples will (although usually just inside).  The thing with Diwali is that depending on where in India you are from it can be celebrated in many different ways.  So don't expect much uniformity.

Valmy

Quote from: Savonarola on November 04, 2013, 09:11:00 AM
I discovered I secretly hold bourgeoisie sympathies.   :(

Are you to be purged from GE in violent proletariat class struggle? :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

GE is pumping money into the Dayton area.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: Savonarola on November 04, 2013, 09:11:00 AMI discovered I secretly hold bourgeoisie sympathies.   :(

I had my suspicions. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

lustindarkness

I'm tired. I was looking forward to coming in to work today so I could have a easy restfull day.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

Quote from: lustindarkness on November 04, 2013, 10:05:34 AM
I'm tired. I was looking forward to coming in to work today so I could have a easy restfull day.

Same here.  I had the kids all by myself this weekend.  Wish I had a sleeping bag or cot in my office.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

I'm at home on the couch.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

lustindarkness

Well, I had drill, and with having missed October, we had double the work to catch up to.  <_<

I was even accused of snoring last night.  :rolleyes:

Ed=couch potato. Lust= jelly of Ed  :blush:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Jacob

Quote from: Savonarola on November 04, 2013, 08:24:40 AM
I opened my web server this morning and saw the message "There's a cultural revolution at GE!"  I knew some of the executive leadership were walking the capitalist road.   :mad:

(Our latest buzzword is "Culture of simplicity," where they're trying to reduce the needless paperwork and bureaucracy; hence "Cultural revolution.  I'm sure everyone who has worked for a large corporation, or a government agency knows how this is going to turn out.)

Cultural Revolution? Is there any hope for real purges or some juicy self-criticism sessions?

sbr

I went in to work for 2 hours and then went home sick.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.