News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Nothing quite like the love and warmth of being nestled in a mother's bosom until you're dead.

QuoteBaby dies after 'highly intoxicated' mother passes out on her
Hagerstown woman was attempting to breastfeed infant girl, sheriff's office says

By Julie Scharper, The Baltimore Sun
4:19 PM EST, November 3, 2013

A two-month old Hagerstown girl died after her mother passed out while breastfeeding her early Saturday, according to the Washington County Sheriff's Office.

The baby was found unresponsive under her mother, Yadina Indira Morales, 22, who was "highly intoxicated," according to the sheriff's office.

Morales was charged with manslaughter, second degree child abuse, reckless endangerment and other lesser charges, according to the sheriff's office.

Sheriff's deputies were called to the home in the 11200 block of Scarlet Oak Drive in Hagerstown just before 7 a.m., the sheriff's office said.

The infant was taken to Meritus Medical Center and was pronounced dead. Her body was taken to the office of the chief medical examiner in Baltimore for an autopsy.

Her mother also was taken to the same hospital for evaluation before being arrested, the sheriff's office. The sheriff's office said Sunday there was no additional information available.

Last year, a man Morales identified as her boyfriend was charged with child abuse after another child, Morales' then-2-year-old daughter, was brought to a hospital with fractured ribs and other injuries, according to a 2012 story in the Hagerstown Herald-Mail. Maryland online judicial records indicate Daniel Keith Edmonds ultimately registered an Alford plea — not admitting guilt but acknowledging there was sufficient evidence to find him guilty — to a lesser, second-degree assault charge.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 03, 2013, 07:46:28 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 03, 2013, 07:13:06 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 03, 2013, 06:51:51 PM
What is the deal with Mexico?  The Drug gangs will kill your family if you something they don't like or something?
Yup

So why the mystification about Colombia? You've heard of the Medellin and Cali cartels, right? :contract:
Now that I think about yeah, but Mexico and Venezuela's problems are just a lot more high profile these days.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Things have gotten a little better in Colombia.  Not that I'd travel to either place these days, but if I had to choose one or the other I'd visit Colombia over Venezuela.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

So the (east indian) neighbors have had Christmas light up on their house the last few days.  It was particularly odd compared to our orange Hallowe'en lights (though they aren't anti-Hallowe'en - they gave the boys full size chocolate bars).

But I think I have it figured out - tonight is Diwali, the Hindu Festivals of Lights.

So do Hindus put up lights for Diwali? :unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 03, 2013, 11:09:57 PM
Things have gotten a little better in Colombia.  Not that I'd travel to either place these days, but if I had to choose one or the other I'd visit Colombia over Venezuela.

Mike Brown would never pay your ransom.

MadImmortalMan

Colombia is the 21st Century Success Story now. Pablo Escobar died in 1993.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 02, 2013, 03:42:14 PM
I guess Shelf was feeling verklempt because of all the bickering.
I don't think I closed it, though I may have done by accident.

Which is annoying because I wanted to say I've just started a Kay novel, first Sarantium book.

So far I think he follows his historical model a bit too much, but I'm sure it'll diverge as I go on. Maybe I should have got the one based on 8th century China because I'm unbelievably ignorant about Chinese history.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

I have a new mayor! It's quite the change, we've had the same since 1989.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 04, 2013, 12:34:24 AM
Quote from: derspiess on November 03, 2013, 11:09:57 PM

Mike Brown would never pay your ransom.

He'd just get another guy to hold his 1973 Poloroid. That he found at a garage sale. And jewed the guy down to 2 bucks.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

anyone know how to save an illustrator image as an svg properly?
It always seems to make my elements go all over the place when I try :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 04, 2013, 05:50:45 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 02, 2013, 03:42:14 PM
I guess Shelf was feeling verklempt because of all the bickering.
I don't think I closed it, though I may have done by accident.

Which is annoying because I wanted to say I've just started a Kay novel, first Sarantium book.

So far I think he follows his historical model a bit too much, but I'm sure it'll diverge as I go on. Maybe I should have got the one based on 8th century China because I'm unbelievably ignorant about Chinese history.

Open the thread if you can. I may have some Dredd stuff to post.

Savonarola

I opened my web server this morning and saw the message "There's a cultural revolution at GE!"  I knew some of the executive leadership were walking the capitalist road.   :mad:

(Our latest buzzword is "Culture of simplicity," where they're trying to reduce the needless paperwork and bureaucracy; hence "Cultural revolution.  I'm sure everyone who has worked for a large corporation, or a government agency knows how this is going to turn out.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Grey Fox

Time to update the good old Resume.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Quote from: Savonarola on November 04, 2013, 08:24:40 AM
I opened my web server this morning and saw the message "There's a cultural revolution at GE!"  I knew some of the executive leadership were walking the capitalist road.   :mad:

(Our latest buzzword is "Culture of simplicity," where they're trying to reduce the needless paperwork and bureaucracy; hence "Cultural revolution.  I'm sure everyone who has worked for a large corporation, or a government agency knows how this is going to turn out.)

Did you engage in intense self-criticism the whole morning?