News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

That dude names map was more interesting than the chick names one. Far more pronounced regional differences.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 25, 2013, 08:50:40 AM
Quote from: derspiess on October 25, 2013, 08:37:17 AM
Ed likes having his food dropped on the floor in the kitchen.

I know how to act overseas.

In France, just chill. Eventually they will get to you. Unless you are in a chain restaurant, where American style service has been sorta beaten into them. Sorta.

I guess so. I just hate the idea of sitting at the restaurant with clearly nothing in front of me and not getting more wine to pass the time.

When I was just in Quebec, our local contact took us to this nice restaurant in the old port area. When the waitress forgot my cham...sparkling wine, she later came over with a free glass. Classy. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 25, 2013, 09:21:11 AM

Used to scare my cat with stuff like that.  One thing that never fazed her was the remote control tank.  She'd watch it for a few seconds then ignore it.  She wouldn't even move her tail-- just let the treads roll over it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 25, 2013, 05:51:19 AM
Fuckin'A William is popular in the states too! :x

That's Tommy's actual first name-- it's a traditional name in my family going back five generations. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Correct.  Also the name of my great grandfather.  Now except for the original William (who had no middle name IIRC), every subsequent generation has gone by their middle name.  Which is annoying and impractical, but it's tradition and I'm not one to break it :D

Grey Fox

Quote from: derspiess on October 25, 2013, 09:33:56 AM

That's Tommy's actual first name-- it's a traditional name in my family going back five generations.

Atleast, you actually speak English on a regular basis.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 25, 2013, 10:11:33 AM
Quote from: derspiess on October 25, 2013, 09:33:56 AM

Atleast, you actually speak English on a regular basis.

Yeah, but I'm getting bored speaking English and Spanish around the house.  I started speaking in German to my kids.  Particularly when I yell at them.

Grey Fox

Gotta live up to your nickname of DerFurher, yes.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 25, 2013, 09:21:11 AM

My brother's idiot dog got down in basement where the cats are (and I am!) last week while I was sleeping.  I heard the cats hissing and howling and shit being knocked over, so I turned on the lights.  Apparently two of the cats jumped up into the ceiling or hidden in the laundry room when the dog came in.  The third cat, who was laying next to me jumped down off the bed and charged the dog, growling the whole time.  The dog rapidly backed away up the stairs.   This cat, named Gray, is a crippled and only weighs about 4 pounds.  She still managed to scare off a dog that weighed nearly 10 times as much as she.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Dogs don't know their size.

No idea if cats do.

Savonarola

Parents became suspicious when they found that the permission slip was written on a cocktail napkin:

QuoteTeacher Took Students to Strip Club: Police

Travis Lechien, of Crown Point, Ind., faces up to one year in prison

A northwest Indiana teacher who allegedly took some students to a strip club and gave them alcoholic beverages at his home was terminated Tuesday night, district officials said.

"We take this seriously," Supt. Tom Taylor said of the investigation surrounding Travis Lechien.

Lechien, of Crown Point, faces up to one year in prison on three Class A misdemeanor charges of contributing to the delinquency of a minor. The charges were filed Oct. 7, records show.

The 31-year-old had been suspended without pay from his job as a chemistry teacher at Hanover Central High School since Sept. 10. He was a teacher at the school for 10 years, the Times of Northwest Indiana reported.

Court documents said Lechien allowed the students to drink beer and other alcoholic beverages at his home and took some of them to a strip club in Hammond to celebrate a student's birthday.

An affidavit states Lechien and the students were pulled over on their way home from the strip club after Lechien, who was driving at the time, was speeding, according to public information officer Patti Van Til with the Lake County Sheriff's Department.

The affidavit also states several students, some 18 and others younger, said they often "hung out" at Lechien's house and sometimes drank beer and hard liquor as well as used flavored tobacco from a hookah the students said belonged to the teacher.

Defense attorney Richard Wolter said he hadn't reviewed the case enough to comment but that Lechien intended to plead not guilty.

Taylor said the incident "puts a stain" on all teachers.

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/crown-point-indiana-teacher-charged-alcohol-strip-club-228923451.html#ixzz2ilGlMTuL

And this is why America's education system is so messed up.  We throw our best teachers in jail.   :(
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

derspiess

The alcohol is bad enough, but he also gave them... TOBACCO????  :o

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 25, 2013, 10:34:12 AM
No idea if cats do.

Sometimes the best defense is a good offense.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?