Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Me and Capri Sun bags don't get along.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

This is actually from last week, but this was too priceless to pass up...

QuotePoll: Louisiana GOPers Unsure If Katrina Response Was Obama's Fault

A significant chunk of Louisiana Republicans evidently believe that President Barack Obama is to blame for the poor response to the hurricane that ravaged their state more than three years before he took office.

The latest survey from Democratic-leaning Public Policy Polling, provided exclusively to TPM, showed an eye-popping divide among Republicans in the Bayou State when it comes to accountability for the government's post-Katrina blunders.

Twenty-eight percent said they think former President George W. Bush, who was in office at the time, was more responsible for the poor federal response while 29 percent said Obama, who was still a freshman U.S. Senator when the storm battered the Gulf Coast in 2005, was more responsible. Nearly half of Louisiana Republicans — 44 percent — said they aren't sure who to blame.

Bush was criticized heavily when he did not immediately return to Washington from his vacation in Texas after the storm had reached landfall. The government was also slow to provide relief aid and Michael Brown, then-director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), admitted in a televised interview that he learned that many of the storm's victims at the New Orleans Convention Center were without food and water well after the situation had been reported in the press.

Brown's handling of the response ultimately led to his resignation, but Bush offered an infamous endorsement of the FEMA chief only days before he stepped down.

"Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job," Bush said.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 28, 2013, 08:22:17 AM
Those juice boxes and baggies are too little for me.  Then again I've lived alone for decades, so skipping glasses and drinking straight from bottles in the fridge is no big deal.  Gonna have to work on that now.
Moving back in with Mom?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Ahhhhyup.  Going to party like it's 1989.

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on August 27, 2013, 07:52:27 PM
Right. And female teachers just get off with a slap on the wrist....

You can see why people got confused.  Since this was a male teacher getting an absurdly short sentence what does this have to do with female teachers?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2013, 08:43:05 AM

You can see why people got confused.  Since this was a male teacher getting an absurdly short sentence what does this have to do with female teachers?

I assumed the point was that 'people are always saying female teachers get off lightly when caught screwing male students - but look at this: a male teacher gets only 30 days for the same'. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on August 28, 2013, 08:46:43 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 28, 2013, 08:43:05 AM

I assumed the point was that 'people are always saying female teachers get off lightly when caught screwing male students - but look at this: a male teacher gets only 30 days for the same'. 

Yes but it does nothing to disprove the assertion that female teachers get off lightly.  Rather that this monster got slap on the wrist with a judge clearly embracing the clarion call of the rapist apologist.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

You do seem to love a good soccer mom.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 28, 2013, 08:57:01 AM
Katie Holmes gives me wood:

I liked her better when she was younger, fresher and wasn't a beard.  She was so :wub: back then.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

lustindarkness

I see nothing wrong with that pic.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Syt

Uhura looks ready for some of that ultra violence with her droogs.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Syt on August 28, 2013, 10:11:39 AM
Uhura looks ready for some of that ultra violence with her droogs.

:thumbsup:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom