News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Philistines, the lot of you! :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

I'm actually caught-up on my to-do list at work :huh:

That probably means I'm forgetting something.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

fhdz

Quote from: derspiess on July 19, 2013, 10:46:59 AM
I'm actually caught-up on my to-do list at work :huh:

That probably means I'm forgetting something.

You left the oven on!
and the horse you rode in on

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 18, 2013, 08:05:32 AM
Tell you what;  come home, take a fucking shower for a change, find a nice little job that pays the bills at the local Barnes & Nobles or something, and take it from there.

Lettow, CdM brings up an interesting point. I know you don't have much money and have unstable living conditions, but are you able to shower and get a clean set of clothes each day? If not, that could be a major roadblock to employment. People judge on first appearances.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: derspiess on July 19, 2013, 08:46:10 AM
I'm guessing a majority of the Languish Athiest Bloc would approve of the Freedom From Religion group's effort here:

http://dispatchpolitics.dispatch.com/content/blogs/the-daily-briefing/2013/07/07-17-13-freedom-from-religion.html

Without reading it, yes.  Party discipline is vital.

Just kidding.  The Star of David is a secular symbol, which is why they can be put up on our streetlamps during Christmas along with Santy Claus and angels, but crosses can't.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Jacob

merithyn

Jayzus... can I just go home already?? I'm so ready for the weekend!
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

fhdz

Quote from: merithyn on July 19, 2013, 04:50:38 PM
Jayzus... can I just go home already?? I'm so ready for the weekend!

Yep. I hereby authorize it.
and the horse you rode in on

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on July 19, 2013, 02:16:51 AM
Quote from: Lettow77 on July 18, 2013, 10:00:29 PM
Quote from: Tyr on July 18, 2013, 07:40:12 PM
But you chose the path of having a career and making something of your life. The path I'm on has no light at the end of the tunnel.

Why do you feel your life now is a dark tunnel you need to escape? What is going so poorly that you aren't already in a good set of circumstances?
Mediocre pay that will only go down and no room for advancement anywhere.
Why?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

Throwing Muses? That's one of those bands for whom the dj mentions concert venues, but never actually plays their songs.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?