News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on July 18, 2013, 10:56:46 AM
I kinda want to try boiled peanuts now. What do they taste like?

Like peas.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on July 18, 2013, 03:40:41 PM
Blast from the past: Hunter S. Thompson on Nixon's death:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1994/07/he-was-a-crook/308699/

I was chechking out The Atlantic today and was puzzling over why a 20-year-old article was trending (and at one point #1) on their "most popular" list. :unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on July 18, 2013, 11:58:00 AM
Indeed, which is why I don't get some Languishites ragging on these younger members of the tribe like Lettow and Tyr, as at least they're doing what part of youth is about ie getting out there, travelling ,trying out new places. :cool:

Well done to you guys, don't listen to the naysayers and don't take knock-back or disappointments to seriously.
By all means evaluate the experience and decide what could be done better next time, but please do continue to experiment.

Nothing wrong with seeing the world as a young man.  But is it really necessary to see the world as a broke as balls hobo and smelling like piss and body odor?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 18, 2013, 06:19:44 PM
Nothing wrong with seeing the world as a young man.  But is it really necessary to see the world as a broke as balls hobo and smelling like piss and body odor?

What's wrong with fitting in with the natives?  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

QuoteI'd say because he appears (from his own words) to have a hard enough connecting to people with whom he shares the same culture. I don't know why he should make it more difficult on himself when he is already struggling.
It can be a lot easier to get along with foreigners. Language differences mask awkwardness and eccentricities can be blamed on just being from x country.
Back when I first started getting involved with foreigners in my second year of uni I was a bit of a social fucktard, from this making friends 'on easy mode' however I was able to develop and become more able to get along with people whom I didn't have a language advantage over.

QuoteSometimes I wish I'd had the balls to go live in some place like Japan when I was younger. When I was 19, the other side of the world was Texas, and Nevada was a completely different planet.  :P

I thought going to Houston was a severe jolt.
But you chose the path of having a career and making something of your life. The path I'm on has no light at the end of the tunnel.
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Sounds like me, actually, except I wasn't going to Harvard and my mom wasn't as conscientious. :embarrass:

No Mihali jokes.  I've let his HLS education drive a wedge between us for too long. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Eh, you two seem thick as thieves.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Lettow77

Quote from: Tyr on July 18, 2013, 07:40:12 PM
But you chose the path of having a career and making something of your life. The path I'm on has no light at the end of the tunnel.

Why do you feel your life now is a dark tunnel you need to escape? What is going so poorly that you aren't already in a good set of circumstances?
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

I'm always surprised that people born before the mid-20th century didn't kill themselves.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

Quote from: Lettow77 on July 18, 2013, 10:00:29 PM
Quote from: Tyr on July 18, 2013, 07:40:12 PM

Why do you feel your life now is a dark tunnel you need to escape? What is going so poorly that you aren't already in a good set of circumstances?
Mediocre pay that will only go down and no room for advancement anywhere.
██████
██████
██████