News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 29, 2013, 03:42:46 AM
This definitely seems worthy of a thread to me.

Way to much worthwhile stuff gets lost in here.
If he lets me scan it, I'll post the scan in a dedicated thread.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

That would be awesome.

If it's going to be kept in the family, get some research done on document preservation, for God's sake.

Or better yet, find a University library that will do it for her or loan it out to a collection.  It still belongs to her, but it will be taken care of professionally.  I know JFK's Presidential Library has a massive collection of Hemingway's letters.

Savonarola

Quote from: Caliga on June 28, 2013, 07:40:04 PM
Whoa. :huh:

Princesca was over at her father in law's house earlier and he casually whips this old letter out.  It was a letter Ernest Hemingway hand-wrote to her grandmother in 1952, on 'Hemingway' stationery and mailed from Cuba.  He had no idea it existed until she died in 2009 and he found it cleaning out her house.  He also seemed to be surprised when Princesca told her it might be worth something. :wacko:

Her grandmother had a master's degree in English language education or something like that and for her final project had to write a biography on Hemingway, and on a lark after she wrote it she mailed it to him with a letter asking him if it was accurate or something like that.  He apparently took the time to read it, and then wrote her a long response.  I haven't read it yet but can only imagine how it must sound:

Dear Lily,

Thanks for your note.  It was nice.  I read your paper.  I liked it.  It was accurate.

Princesca said there's a paragraph in it about how he just finished a new book that was about to be published, and he hoped she'd read it and send him a review of it.  Given the timing he must have been talking about The Old Man And The Sea.

If I can convince my father in law to temporarily part with the letter, I'll scan it and post it. :cool:

Very cool :thumbsup:

My grandmother applied to Zane Grey's personal secretary.  He sent her a a handwritten rejection letter which is now a treasured family heirloom.   :cool:

(It was actually a very nice letter.  She was 18 at the time and he was kind enough to let her down gently.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

I kinda liked Farewell to Arms. But he's no Fitzgerald.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

lustindarkness

Princesca was over at her father in law's house earlier and he casually whips this old letter out.  It was a letter Ernest Hemingway hand-wrote to her grandmother in 1952, on 'Hemingway' stationery and mailed from Cuba.  He had no idea it existed until she died in 2009 and he found it cleaning out her house.  He also seemed to be surprised when Princesca told her it might be worth something. :wacko:

Her grandmother had a master's degree in English language education or something like that and for her final project had to write a biography on Hemingway, and on a lark after she wrote it she mailed it to him with a letter asking him if it was accurate or something like that.  He apparently took the time to read it, and then wrote her a long response.  I haven't read it yet but can only imagine how it must sound:

Dear Lily,

Thanks for your note.  It was nice.  I read your paper.  I liked it.  It was accurate.

Princesca said there's a paragraph in it about how he just finished a new book that was about to be published, and he hoped she'd read it and send him a review of it.  Given the timing he must have been talking about The Old Man And The Sea.

If I can convince my father in law to temporarily part with the letter, I'll scan it and post it. :cool:

Any chance we will see you on Pawn Stars trying to get a few bucks for that letter from Rick Harrison? :)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

The Brain

Quote from: Savonarola on June 29, 2013, 08:50:28 AM

Dear Lily,

Very cool :thumbsup:

My grandmother applied to Zane Grey's personal secretary.  He sent her a a handwritten rejection letter which is now a treasured family heirloom.   :cool:

(It was actually a very nice letter.  She was 18 at the time and he was kind enough to let her down gently.)

Billy Zane would have been awesome.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on June 29, 2013, 06:26:30 PM
Billy Zane would have been awesome.

Maybe Sav's grandma applied to be his nanny. And he hand-crayoned the rejection letter.  ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Quote from: katmai on June 29, 2013, 01:08:18 PM
Hemingway was a hack.
:rolleyes:

I love everything of his I've read (The Old Man and the Sea, For Whom the Bell Tolls, The Sun Also Rises)

Caliga

Forgot about A Farewell To Arms  :Embarrass:

katmai

Quote from: Caliga on June 29, 2013, 06:47:50 PM
Quote from: katmai on June 29, 2013, 01:08:18 PM
Hemingway was a hack.
:rolleyes:

I love everything of his I've read (The Old Man and the Sea, For Whom the Bell Tolls, The Sun Also Rises)

That just shows you have bad taste ^_^
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Josephus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 29, 2013, 01:16:37 PM
I kinda liked Farewell to Arms. But he's no Fitzgerald.

I remember reading Old Man and the Sea when I was sick from school one day when I was probably 8 or 9 and loved it.
But then in later years I read A Farewell to Arms and really couldn't get into it. The only other thing I read of his was that letter posted above.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

You really owe it to yourself to read For Whom the Bell Tolls.  It's a masterpiece.

Plus the protagonist is a commie.  :)

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 29, 2013, 08:04:47 PM
You really owe it to yourself to read For Whom the Bell Tolls.  It's a masterpiece.

Plus the protagonist is a commie.  :)

Curiously it was the favorite book of both Barack Obama and John McCain.  Marty has cameo in it as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017