And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: 11B4V on June 28, 2013, 02:45:08 AM
Quote from: DGuller on June 27, 2013, 10:59:49 PM
Don't fuck with foul-mouthed Russian grandpas:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WPkESAMAMk&feature=youtu.be.

Was that a box of vodka?  :lol:
:mad: Russians are not savages.  That's juice.  The vodka is in her other hand.

Liep

Yeah, the mouth is a perfectly good mixer. Russian dashcams. :lol:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

DGuller

IMO, the most amusing thing about this video is how grandpa's car radio provides a perfectly timed soundtrack to the events unfolding.

Caliga

Whoa. :huh:

Princesca was over at her father in law's house earlier and he casually whips this old letter out.  It was a letter Ernest Hemingway hand-wrote to her grandmother in 1952, on 'Hemingway' stationery and mailed from Cuba.  He had no idea it existed until she died in 2009 and he found it cleaning out her house.  He also seemed to be surprised when Princesca told her it might be worth something. :wacko:

Her grandmother had a master's degree in English language education or something like that and for her final project had to write a biography on Hemingway, and on a lark after she wrote it she mailed it to him with a letter asking him if it was accurate or something like that.  He apparently took the time to read it, and then wrote her a long response.  I haven't read it yet but can only imagine how it must sound:

Dear Lily,

Thanks for your note.  It was nice.  I read your paper.  I liked it.  It was accurate.

Princesca said there's a paragraph in it about how he just finished a new book that was about to be published, and he hoped she'd read it and send him a review of it.  Given the timing he must have been talking about The Old Man And The Sea.

If I can convince my father in law to temporarily part with the letter, I'll scan it and post it. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ideologue

She should have tried to convince him to part with it more permanently.  "Hemingway?  Who's that?  Nobody.  Let me see it.  Whatever.  I'll toss this for you."
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Caliga

Quote from: Ideologue on June 28, 2013, 07:43:55 PM
She should have tried to convince him to part with it more permanently.  "Hemingway?  Who's that?  Nobody.  Let me see it.  Whatever.  I'll toss this for you."
:lol:

Unfortunately her dad was also a teacher. :P

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Liep

Quote from: Caliga on June 28, 2013, 07:40:04 PM

Princesca was over at her father in law's house earlier and he casually whips this old letter out.  It was a letter Ernest Hemingway hand-wrote to her grandmother in 1952, on 'Hemingway' stationery and mailed from Cuba.  He had no idea it existed until she died in 2009 and he found it cleaning out her house.  He also seemed to be surprised when Princesca told her it might be worth something. :wacko:

Her grandmother had a master's degree in English language education or something like that and for her final project had to write a biography on Hemingway, and on a lark after she wrote it she mailed it to him with a letter asking him if it was accurate or something like that.  He apparently took the time to read it, and then wrote her a long response.  I haven't read it yet but can only imagine how it must sound:

Dear Lily,

Thanks for your note.  It was nice.  I read your paper.  I liked it.  It was accurate.

Princesca said there's a paragraph in it about how he just finished a new book that was about to be published, and he hoped she'd read it and send him a review of it.  Given the timing he must have been talking about The Old Man And The Sea.

If I can convince my father in law to temporarily part with the letter, I'll scan it and post it. :cool:

Nice. :cool:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on June 28, 2013, 07:40:04 PM

This definitely seems worthy of a thread to me.

Way to much worthwhile stuff gets lost in here.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

People who don't read the ott deserve to miss out.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 29, 2013, 03:51:33 AM
People who don't read the ott deserve to miss out.  :P

Amen.