News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on February 08, 2013, 10:04:50 AM
newt served as a plot device. she managed to get captured by the aliens allowed ripley to face the Big Bad, as you note. her death in the third film does not change this. ripley's struggle is not diminished by any means, nor does it change any message. the past still happened, and there's no getting beyond that. not every story ends in a flowery conclusion for all involved

But 2 did end in a flowery conclusion, which 3 then shat on.

Quotethat you did not like how the story continued is not the film's fault

:huh: Of course it is.

LaCroix

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 08, 2013, 10:00:38 AMI don't know if it was that inconsistent;  Newt was replaced as Ripley's daughter figure with the alien gestating inside her; Ripley chose sacrifice and eternal unification in being melted together with her newborn as her role in the end.

yi could not have been referring to thematic consistency. after all, the first and second are noted as being widely different from each other in that regard. one is a survival horror, the other is an action flick. i took consistency to mean within the actual plot itself. anything else just.. does.. not make sense. you could just as easily disregard aliens as a bunch of inconsistent bullshit, as one might with alien 3, if that were the sole considering factor. that is not the case because aliens is considered a fantastic film. alien 3 receives its hate simply because it is not a masterpiece; it is a decent flick, albeit flawed. had alien 3 been the godfather pt. 2 of the series, i'll bet you people would be willing to overlook newt and hick's death

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 08, 2013, 10:09:15 AMBut 2 did end in a flowery conclusion, which 3 then shat on.

:huh: Of course it is.

tell that to wierzbowski

but of course it isn't; that is simply your opinion, which others disagree with. thus, not the film's fault. it is your own

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on February 08, 2013, 10:17:48 AM
but of course it isn't; that is simply your opinion, which others disagree with. thus, not the film's fault. it is your own

maybe if he stood alone. But he's not and the film has received a lot of negative response.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

LaCroix

Quote from: garbon on February 08, 2013, 10:19:20 AMmaybe if he stood alone. But he's not and the film has received a lot of negative response.

are you saying popular opinion decides matters objectively

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on February 08, 2013, 10:20:47 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 08, 2013, 10:19:20 AMmaybe if he stood alone. But he's not and the film has received a lot of negative response.

What exactly is the methodology for rating films objectively?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: LaCroix on February 08, 2013, 10:16:02 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 08, 2013, 10:00:38 AMI don't know if it was that inconsistent;  Newt was replaced as Ripley's daughter figure with the alien gestating inside her; Ripley chose sacrifice and eternal unification in being melted together with her newborn as her role in the end.

yi could not have been referring to thematic consistency. after all, the first and second are noted as being widely different from each other in that regard. one is a survival horror, the other is an action flick. i took consistency to mean within the actual plot itself. anything else just.. does.. not make sense. you could just as easily disregard aliens as a bunch of inconsistent bullshit, as one might with alien 3, if that were the sole considering factor. that is not the case because aliens is considered a fantastic film. alien 3 receives its hate simply because it is not a masterpiece; it is a decent flick, albeit flawed. had alien 3 been the godfather pt. 2 of the series, i'll bet you people would be willing to overlook newt and hick's death

I felt it was a finely directed film, with its own unique atmosphere albeit some minor bumps, just as the first two films possessed their own uniqueness. 

Quotetell that to wierzbowski

:lol:  Yeah, and as if we didn't need any more evidence that women shouldn't serve in combat:  Vasquez rocked, but Dietrich TK'd Frost and Crowe.

LaCroix

Quote from: Valmy on February 08, 2013, 10:23:27 AMWhat exactly is the methodology for rating films objectively?

i don't know. i'm not a film expert, i only play one on the internet. but i'm pretty sure it doesn't include: "i didn't like the way they went about with the story"

garbon

I'd say that mass release films (a la Hollywood) generally get made to entertain and if they fail at that...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

How does objectivity factor into this at all?  We're discussing a matter of taste.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Maladict on February 08, 2013, 08:06:57 AM
:bleeding:
I thought these people didn't have passports?

The story doesn't mention her nationality. Do all "truthers" have to be American?  :hmm:

Quote from: ValmyHoly Crap.  If she had one I hope we cancel it.

But then we have to keep her.  <_<
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

LaCroix

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 08, 2013, 10:23:59 AMI felt it was a finely directed film, with its own unique atmosphere albeit some minor bumps, just as the first two films possessed their own uniqueness. 

:lol:  Yeah, and as if we didn't need any more evidence that women shouldn't serve in combat:  Vasquez rocked, but Dietrich TK'd Frost and Crowe.

i think you can really tell it was fincher's first flick. it's like it didn't know what it wanted to be, with elements of both the previous films included. had a more experienced fincher made the attempt, i think it would be a lot better. as it stands, it's flawed, but definitely still worth watching

between vasquez with her double tk, ferro's failure to adhere to proper protocol before take-off (poor spunkmeyer), and dietrich's lack of trigger discipline, you're right. the female soldiers of aliens failed everyone so miserably :(

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 08, 2013, 10:25:07 AMHow does objectivity factor into this at all?  We're discussing a matter of taste.

i thought your argument was that alien 3 is utter shit, not worth watching. in your earlier posts, i do not remember a clause that stated your own personal issues with the story affected your opinion of its quality, dismissing it unfairly due to your bias. i may have overlooked that, though. if so, i apologize

Quote from: GarbonI'd say that mass release films (a la Hollywood) generally get made to entertain and if they fail at that...

well,

first, i would have to look at the polls to see whether a great majority (whichever % you feel is necessary) deemed it to have failed to entertain

second, we would have to consider whether the general public is the best decider of a film's quality. i ... tend to think that is not the case

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on February 08, 2013, 10:39:51 AM
i thought your argument was that alien 3 is utter shit, not worth watching. in your earlier posts, i do not remember a clause that stated your own personal issues with the story affected your opinion of its quality, dismissing it unfairly due to your bias. i may have overlooked that, though. if so, i apologize

WTF?  Unfairly?  Bias?  What the hell are you talking about?

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 08, 2013, 10:43:49 AMWTF?  Unfairly?  Bias?  What the hell are you talking about?

well, unless i've misunderstood your argument, your complaint toward the film is that you did not like an aspect of the story. so, if you told others the movie sucked because you may have disliked that certain part, it would be unfair given your bias