News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

If you ask a putative hooker if she's a cop, she has to tell you.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 01, 2012, 06:34:15 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 01, 2012, 06:17:19 PM
What I don't get is why conspiracy theorists, who seem to be the people who paste that into their facebook info, are also the very people who would believe that legal words/laws/principles would have Any effect in the dark world they imagine we all live in.

My cod-psychoanalysis is that the conspiracy theorist is trying to reclaim a sense of control and personal importance by being the one who possesses the secret knowledge that explains why the world is the way it is.  I think that legal disclaimer is rooted in the same delusion, i.e. that they have discovered the secret fact that government agents can't prosecute you if you tell them not to, that its ignorance/apathy rather than true powerlessness that's keeping people down.

You hit the nail on the head.  It's called "Magical thinking" in psychology.  People who believe in conspiracy theories often have a hard time figuring out cause and effect.  They see a world that is not to their liking and come to the conclusion it's that way because someone designed it that way.  Likewise they think the knowledge of the conspiracy is empowering.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on April 01, 2012, 06:45:13 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 01, 2012, 06:34:15 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 01, 2012, 06:17:19 PM
What I don't get is why conspiracy theorists, who seem to be the people who paste that into their facebook info, are also the very people who would believe that legal words/laws/principles would have Any effect in the dark world they imagine we all live in.

My cod-psychoanalysis is that the conspiracy theorist is trying to reclaim a sense of control and personal importance by being the one who possesses the secret knowledge that explains why the world is the way it is.  I think that legal disclaimer is rooted in the same delusion, i.e. that they have discovered the secret fact that government agents can't prosecute you if you tell them not to, that its ignorance/apathy rather than true powerlessness that's keeping people down.

You hit the nail on the head.  It's called "Magical thinking" in psychology.  People who believe in conspiracy theories often have a hard time figuring out cause and effect.  They see a world that is not to their liking and come to the conclusion it's that way because someone designed it that way.  Likewise they think the knowledge of the conspiracy is empowering.

Yes, well said, both you and Capt.M. ; I'm encountering this a lot at the moment and when I'm doing my free speech advocacy on the streets, what I find odd is the number of apparently 'mainstream' people who, unprompted, are now trotting out conspiracy mumbo-jumbo.   :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ed Anger

What they do at Long John Silver's.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 01, 2012, 08:05:23 PM
Pseudo, ersatz, phony.

I got that.  I was wondering about the etymology.

Anything to do with cod piece?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 01, 2012, 09:04:19 PM
Anything to do with cod piece?
Don't think so.  'Cod' was Medieval and Tudor slang for ballsack, hence codpiece.

The way Mihali used it probably comes from cant in the 17th century when it was used to mean a likely mark.  By the 19th century it was still used for someone a bit gullible and then began to mean a hoax or a parody in itself.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

American copyright sucks ass

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on April 01, 2012, 06:35:01 PM
If you ask a putative hooker if she's a cop, she has to tell you.

How sure are you about that? :shifty:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

While reading a review of a history of the FBI I learned that Obama issued a signing statement with the Indefinite Detention of American Citizens Act.