katmai

Quote from: citizen k on January 01, 2016, 05:41:42 PM
Quote from: katmai on January 01, 2016, 05:25:36 PM
Boring games this morning, and looks like Yi's team can't stop the garbons

21-0 1st quarter, embarassing. :Embarrass:
uff da
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

alfred russel

It sucks that the Rose Bowl took Iowa. Ohio State Stanford would have been awesome, and ND could have beat Iowa.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

katmai

Clearly the best teams were not in Big Ten Championship game.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

:lol: Massacree.  When does Stanford start suiting up their trainers?

Admiral Yi

Does McCaffery have what it takes to make it in the NFL?

alfred russel

Quote from: katmai on January 01, 2016, 06:19:59 PM

If you look at the F/+ rankings, which use advanced statistics looking at play by play and drive data from the season, the rankings were:

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Oklahoma
4. Ohio State

Iowa was way down at 25.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 01, 2016, 06:32:52 PM
Does McCaffery have what it takes to make it in the NFL?

A fast RB that is effective as a receiver and a really good return man? Hell yeah.

Eddie Teach

They should have brought their best when they played Sparty then.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: alfred russel on January 01, 2016, 06:33:33 PM

If you look at the F/+ rankings, which use advanced statistics looking at play by play and drive data from the season, the rankings were:

1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Oklahoma
4. Ohio State

Iowa was way down at 25.

You have to get through the regular season first. OSU is basically a southern style team built to win bowls now. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's a gamble up north.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

alfred russel

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 01, 2016, 06:40:35 PM

You have to get through the regular season first. OSU is basically a southern style team built to win bowls now. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's a gamble up north.

Those rankings were based on the regular season--not bowl performances.

I don't know how you would change OSU to win in northern climates...an awesome running game with a solid defense seems to be what you want and is what OSU has. I'm not sure why they decided not to run the ball against MSU, but then I think the OSU coaches also think that was a mistake.

alfred russel

If I was an Iowa fan, I'd give the Stanford fans something to remember by walking amongst them and commenting to a friend, "The worst part of this isn't just losing the game. It is that after the game we have to leave California and go back to live in Iowa."

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on January 01, 2016, 06:44:57 PM

I don't know how you would change OSU to win in northern climates...an awesome running game with a solid defense seems to be what you want and is what OSU has. I'm not sure why they decided not to run the ball against MSU, but then I think the OSU coaches also think that was a mistake.

The reason OSU didn't run the ball against MSU was that they couldn't.  They certainly tried (29 rushing plays to 16 passes), but they couldn't get the job done (3 YPC).  They only got 45 plays and 132 yards total because they tried for too long to try to get a running game going.  They needed to pass against that feeble MSU defensive backfield to open up the run game.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on January 02, 2016, 10:18:37 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on January 01, 2016, 06:44:57 PM

The reason OSU didn't run the ball against MSU was that they couldn't.  They certainly tried (29 rushing plays to 16 passes), but they couldn't get the job done (3 YPC).  They only got 45 plays and 132 yards total because they tried for too long to try to get a running game going.  They needed to pass against that feeble MSU defensive backfield to open up the run game.

The criticism is that of all their plays, only 12 were runs by running backs. So yes, they did have lots of QB and WR runs that add up to a large percentage of run plays, but the running backs were not given much of a chance to get going.