News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2015

Started by Maladict, December 28, 2014, 02:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on December 29, 2014, 09:12:09 AM
AR: re: 5. Nope. :P

If you are interested in climbing another mountain, how willing areo you to get on a plane? And somewhat related, how negotiable are you on the risk of death part (there are safe mountains, and interesting mountains, and the venn diagrams of the two don't have a ton of overlap)?

Starting with the biggest mountain in North America east of the rockies doesn't leave much room for progression (without moving into technical climbing).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sheilbh

I think you should both start collecting Munros:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munro
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Nah. They should go to Venezuela.

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Actually, I guess I wouldn't be totally averse to some technical climbing.  Seems expensive tho.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on December 29, 2014, 10:40:19 PM
Actually, I guess I wouldn't be totally averse to some technical climbing.  Seems expensive tho.

I think the practical place to start is developing basic rock climbing skills is in a climbing gym. This is why last year I had the goal to go to a climbing gym at least once a week (I failed), so I have no skillz.

You can probably get a gym membership for $40 a month. I have a basic harness that was $40, climbing shoes are the only other thing you need.

There are more costs when you go outside though.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Ideologue

Well, above anything, I need to wait till my shoulder's fully healed before I start putting that kind of stress on it.  I'm waiting till the end of January before I even do a pushup or single military press.  After all, if I fuck up my shoulder in the process and can't do anything for a week, thirty push-ups isn't much of an accomplishment.  I wouldn't dare attempt shoulder-heavy movement like a climbing wall right now.

I'm considering, in the meantime, some very light weights--less than 20 pounds--for arm stuff and a butterfly whatsit, just to avoid losing every last ounce of pectoral and arm muscle I gained in the middle of the year.  But trying it the other week with 20 lbs., obviously significantly less than I can lift, spranged the hell out of my clavicle-spacula interface, so I don't know if even very light weight is a good idea before I'm healed.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

I want to see if I can find a gym around here with a heated swimming pool though.  Now that's good exercise.  And exercise that won't destroy my feet and knees.
Kinemalogue

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on December 29, 2014, 11:31:12 PM
I want to see if I can find a gym around here with a heated swimming pool though.  Now that's good exercise.  And exercise that won't destroy my feet and knees.

I'm feeling betrayed.  :hmm:

Ideologue

:lol:

More than anything it'd be an easy way to work on my upper body.
Kinemalogue

Zanza

Ran my first 10k in the year and needed 57 minutes. That's pretty good for me for January. :)

viper37

Quote from: Maladict on December 28, 2014, 02:07:52 PM
Starting early so you can get your resolutions in before breaking them.  :)
I haven't strayed too far, yet.  Once at McD's yesterday night, that is all.  No chips, no alcohol since the 4th ;)
I keep to my nutrional plan even if I hate breakfast.
No significant weight loss since the fall, but I lost some waist size, my old pants and my old belts are now all too large for me.

All that is left is fixing my headaches and my back problems and I'll be a new man.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Brazen

Quote from: Ideologue on December 29, 2014, 11:31:12 PM
My gym has a seriously underused heated indoor pool. On Saturday I had it all to myself. It was like winning the lottery.

I found a really easy half-marathon training plan with three runs a week, and the weekday ones are comfortably short. Hope my new workplace has a shower; I can't hack running before work or in the dark.

alfred russel

Quote from: Zanza on January 06, 2015, 09:33:56 AM
Ran my first 10k in the year and needed 57 minutes. That's pretty good for me for January. :)

:cheers:

Brazen

Quote from: alfred russel on January 06, 2015, 10:42:05 AM
Quote from: Zanza on January 06, 2015, 09:33:56 AM

:cheers:
That's good for anyone, any time! I dream of getting under an hour!