News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2015

Started by Maladict, December 28, 2014, 02:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Starting early so you can get your resolutions in before breaking them.  :)

mongers

Not sure if I should post a 'collective'  :lol:  or  :(  or  :blush:  or  :hmm:

:D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Maladict

I was actually hoping to get some inspiration as I can't think of any.  :(

Zanza

My 2015 goal is to run a half marathon end of June under 2h. That's 5:40 on the kilometer. I can run that for 10 km right now, so I have to double the distance.

I've also bought a mountain bike and want to use it more often in the next season. There are lots of wooded hills where I live, so that should definitely be possible.

The last thing I want to do is an alpine tour with crampons etc. in Austria or Switzerland, but that's probably more for the "out and about" thread.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on December 28, 2014, 02:26:27 PM
Not sure if I should post a 'collective'  :lol:  or  :(  or  :blush:  or  :hmm:

:D

Definitely  :( or  :Embarrass:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on December 28, 2014, 02:42:28 PM
I was actually hoping to get some inspiration as I can't think of any.  :(

OK, I've this little target for myself early next year; since I'm so bad at walking, I'm going to stretch myself a bit in that direction. I'll put on some light boots and set off with a v.light pack and see how far I can get cross country in an afternoon or day before I give up, won't be far I promise you.

The idea is for a largely non-tarmac route with a bits of boggy/hilly/difficult terrain here and there, that intersects with several public transport 'nodes' along the way, so when I give up I can just hop on a bus or train home.

No idea how far I can manage, in my current someone in the 5-10 mile range is the most probable.  :blush:

Ideologue

Quote from: Zanza on December 28, 2014, 02:44:16 PM
The last thing I want to do is an alpine tour with crampons etc. in Austria or Switzerland, but that's probably more for the "out and about" thread.

What a coincidence, that's the last thing I want to do too. :P

I would like to climb another mountain, just not with the omnipresent threat of pointless death.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Oh, and as soon as my shoulder heals (it is, verrry slowwwwly <_< and without medical intervention, thank God) I'm going to start doing a lot more upper body exercise.  I've lost a lot in the past few months.

Also if I could disciplined on the whole situp thing, I'd be carved out of wood in no time.

Then I need to buy tight clothes so I can counterbalance my baldness and general plainness with a nice visual.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

My goal is to not die on the shitter.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on December 28, 2014, 06:28:32 PM
I would like to climb another mountain, just not with the omnipresent threat of pointless death.
Maybe next time don't go with a chipper stranger you met off the internet?
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

If I didn't take risks with Internet strangers, I'd never get anything done.
Kinemalogue

Sheilbh

I jest. I'm sure at least 90% of Languishites aren't serial killers :)
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Quote from: Ideologue on December 28, 2014, 06:28:32 PM

What about 5?

QuoteFor those seeking to stretch their legs, a more agreeable way to reach the 6684' summit is to take the 5.6 mile class 1 Mount Mitchell Trail (USFS #190) that starts at the Black Mountain Campground (2680'). You can also create a 15.5 mile loop hike by hiking to the summit from the campground, heading north along the Black Mountain Crest Trail (USFS #179 passing Mount Craig - 6647', Big Tom - 6580', Balsam Cone 6596', and Cattail Peak 6584') and down the Colbert Ridge Trail (USFS #178) and then hiking back along some gravel roads back to the campground. During the winter it is not uncommon to have 2+ feet of snow on the mountain. See the map mentioned in the Getting There section.

If we go at a more appropriate time of the year (say September with longer days but not oppressive heat or leaves and ice everywhere), and start at daybreak, we could do the 15.5 mile loop. The hard work is just getting up the first one.

My goals from last year:

sub 50 minute 10k: success!
marathon with various time goals: failure!
Mont Blanc: success!
20 pull ups: failure!
going to a climbing gym at least once a week: success for like the first week of January? failure!

Goals for this year:
5k: beat personal best of 22:00. Stretch goal of getting under 20:00 (there is a ridiculously easy 5k near me that may make this possible).
10k: sub 47m. stretch goal: 45m.
half marathon: sub 1:50. stretch goal: 1:45.
marathon: sub 4:00 minimum goal, sub 3:56 actual goal, sub 3:47:33 stretch and lifetime goal
20 pull ups (this year!)

Hopefully I'll achieve one of them.  :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikes_Peak_Marathon

I know a couple people looking at the Pikes Peak Marathon. It is a marathon to the top of Pikes Peak (a bit over 14k ft, 4300m), and back down. Elevation gain is ~8k feet. There is a 10 hr time limit. It has my interest. I can't run it, but I'm thinking I can do it in 10 hours.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on December 28, 2014, 07:38:12 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pikes_Peak_Marathon

I know a couple people looking at the Pikes Peak Marathon. It is a marathon to the top of Pikes Peak (a bit over 14k ft, 4300m), and back down. Elevation gain is ~8k feet. There is a 10 hr time limit. It has my interest. I can't run it, but I'm thinking I can do it in 10 hours.

:cool:   :gasp: :faints: