Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

From the other side (RT):

QuoteRussia has 'no plans' to take over whole of Ukraine – Putin

Moscow said it does not intend to capture all of Ukraine, but would seek its "de-Nazification" and "demilitarization"

Russian President Vladimir Putin has claimed that Russia had "no plans to occupy the Ukrainian territories" after announcing that a special operation was launched to defend the Donetsk and Lugansk People's Republics from "Ukrainian aggression."

The operation's ultimate goal is "to protect the people who have been subjected for 8 years to genocide by the Kiev regime," Putin said in an adress on Thursday morning, adding that Moscow would "embark on a demilitarization and denazification of Ukraine, and handing over to justice those who committed numerous atrocities against civilians."

The Russian president noted, however, that Moscow harbors no far-reaching plans to take over the whole territory of Ukraine.

"We do not have plans to occupy Ukrainian territories. We are not going to impose anything on anyone by force," :rolleyes: he said.

Ukraine has been accusing Russia of illegally occupying Crimea, which was reabsorbed by Russia following a referendum in March 2014, following the US-backed coup that overthrew the elected government in Kiev.

Kiev has also repeatedly accused Russia of having a military presence in Donbass, although Moscow consistently denied this claim.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on February 23, 2022, 11:52:35 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 23, 2022, 11:48:39 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 23, 2022, 11:46:36 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 23, 2022, 11:42:39 PM
Ukraine has 44 million people. The Russians are rolling in with 200k. That's less than one Russian soldier for every 200 Ukrainian.
I don't think Russia plans to garrison Ukraine with combat units.
Also, is it really that much different from US rolling in with 200k troops into a country of 25 million?  Clearly in that case 200k troops were more than enough to win the war.

But if he runs over the country, installs a puppet and then leaves, wouldn't that create a power vacuum with potential for the West to gain more influence?
Zelensky won 73% of the vote. How stable could a puppet possibly be if the Russians leave?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

HVC

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 24, 2022, 12:19:19 AM

Remind me of what came after? Did the occupation go smoothly?
The west has certain qualms in regards to the treatment of civilians that Russia doesn't share
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

OttoVonBismarck

This is the cost of 40 years of Western engagement with Russia. Russians are not a people and Russia is not a country—they are an enemy to the West and have never and will never be a part of it. We need a new Cold War if complete severed economic relations that is permanent and intended to be so. Russia can never and should never be trusted.

Syt

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 24, 2022, 12:21:47 AM
This is the cost of 40 years of Western engagement with Russia. Russians are not a people and Russia is not a country—they are an enemy to the West and have never and will never be a part of it. We need a new Cold War if complete severed economic relations that is permanent and intended to be so. Russia can never and should never be trusted.

Thanks, Captain Kirk, very constructive. I think there was a window of opportunity to positively engage with Russia in the 90s that wasn't fully made use of during those heady post-Cold War days.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Well those Western sanction did F. All, I wonder if the weak response has helped to embolden Putin's actions?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Quote from: mongers on February 24, 2022, 12:31:32 AM
Well those Western sanction did F. All, I wonder if the weak response has helped to embolden Putin's actions?

As someone said, the sanctions have already been priced in by the Russians.

DGuller

By the way, did the talking heads talking about the 200,000 troops count the Belorussians?  Apparently Belarus didn't just provide military access, they're invading with the Russians.  Looks like they're not sitting on their asses either, they'll probably be in Kiev in time to bring the airborne troops in the airport hot dinner.

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on February 24, 2022, 12:38:37 AM
By the way, did the talking heads talking about the 200,000 troops count the Belorussians?  Apparently Belarus didn't just provide military access, they're invading with the Russians.  Looks like they're not sitting on their asses either, they'll probably be in Kiev in time to bring the airborne troops in the airport hot dinner.

No they didn't... where are you seeing reports that the Belorussians are involved? And what are their forces like? Do we know?

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on February 24, 2022, 12:42:10 AM
Quote from: DGuller on February 24, 2022, 12:38:37 AM

No they didn't... where are you seeing reports that the Belorussians are involved? And what are their forces like? Do we know?
Widely reported on CNN and Twitter: https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1496717859107618820.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on February 24, 2022, 12:09:47 AM
Russia killed about half a dozen Chechen presidents in exile or so, until eventually the Chechen exiles ran out of candidates.  At some point recognition comes at the barrel of a gun, if the owners of said guns walk around the areas they claim to control long enough.

Chechnya is part of Russia.  The comparison doesn't work.

Jacob

I saw someone tweet "a dictator is invading a democratic nation and half the American polity is cheering him on." Is that accurate?

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Jacob on February 24, 2022, 01:13:08 AM
I saw someone tweet "a dictator is invading a democratic nation and half the American polity is cheering him on." Is that accurate?
Between the Right and the far Left, yeah, I would say it is close.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Jacob

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on February 24, 2022, 01:15:33 AM
Quote from: Jacob on February 24, 2022, 01:13:08 AM
Between the Right and the far Left, yeah, I would say it is close.

Is the GOP fully and visibly in the tank for Russia? Are they hemming and hawing a bit? Are they split? Or... are they all in with Tucker Carlson et. al.?