Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Of course it wouldn't have taken place. Trump would've sold Ukraine out completely in return for hotels in Kiev and Moscow and a few hundred million dollars in offshore accounts.

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on February 23, 2022, 11:31:54 PM
I don't see this.  You don't just run a country because you say you run a country, and definitely not if that country is Ukraine.  If Russians capture Kiev, replace the government, and leave it at that, then the rest of unoccupied Ukraine will follow the orders from Lviv.

Yeah makes sense.

What are the likely scenarios at this point?

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on February 23, 2022, 11:34:20 PM
I don't see this.  You don't just run a country because you say you run a country, and definitely not if that country is Ukraine.  If Russians capture Kiev, replace the government, and leave it at that, then the rest of unoccupied Ukraine will follow the orders from Lviv.

Yeah makes sense.

My guess is a full blown war and invasion, and an egg on the face of all those who claim that Russians don't have enough forces.

The Larch

The cynicism...

QuoteRussia's UN envoy justifies military action under article 51 of UN charter

Russia's representative to the United Nations, Vasily Nebenzya, has justified Russia's military operations under article 51 of the UN charter, which allows for "self-defence".

Nebenzya defended Russia's decision to take military action in the Donbas region of eastern Ukraine during an emergency meeting of the UN Security Council held just moments earlier.

According to Reuters, Nebenzya told the United Nations security council of Putin's announcement of a special military operation in eastern Ukraine.

The root of today's crisis around Ukraine is the actions of Ukraine itself, who for many years were sabotaging its obligations."

Nebenzya is presumably referring to the Minsk agreement.

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on February 23, 2022, 11:36:11 PM
My guess is a full blown war and invasion, and an egg on the face of all those who claim that Russians don't have enough forces.

So take and hold, Iraq style? Or even take and hold Tibet style?

mongers

NB I change the title of the thread from "2022 crisis" to "2022 Invasion"

edit:
reports of amphibious landings at Odessa.

An Kharkiv is under attack.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jacob on February 23, 2022, 11:34:20 PM

Yeah makes sense.

Ukraine has 44 million people. The Russians are rolling in with 200k. That's less than one Russian soldier for every 200 Ukrainian.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on February 23, 2022, 11:40:08 PM

I don't know about the hold part of it, but everything seems to point to the war plan involving all or most of Ukraine.  I don't even think that Russia would be content to peace out when on the verge of a crushing victory, like they were in Georgia.  I also don't see Russia leaving quickly after the war, as you don't draw up the kill lists unless you plan to have an iron grip on the country for a while.

DGuller

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 23, 2022, 11:42:39 PM
Ukraine has 44 million people. The Russians are rolling in with 200k. That's less than one Russian soldier for every 200 Ukrainian.
I don't think Russia plans to garrison Ukraine with combat units.

Jacob

Apparently Putin's speech was recorded three days ago.

Also, reporting from Russia "most Russians I've spoken to didn't believe it would be an invasion, just a recognition of the breakway republics."

DGuller

Quote from: DGuller on February 23, 2022, 11:46:36 PM
Also, is it really that much different from US rolling in with 200k troops into a country of 25 million?  Clearly in that case 200k troops were more than enough to win the war.

Syt

Quote from: Jacob on February 23, 2022, 11:40:08 PM

But Putin said he's not aiming at occupying Ukraine, it's just a Donbas operation and he wants to help Ukrainians to freely choose their government! Why would he lie? :o
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: DGuller on February 23, 2022, 11:48:39 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 23, 2022, 11:46:36 PM
Also, is it really that much different from US rolling in with 200k troops into a country of 25 million?  Clearly in that case 200k troops were more than enough to win the war.

But if he runs over the country, installs a puppet and then leaves, wouldn't that create a power vacuum with potential for the West to gain more influence?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on February 23, 2022, 11:48:39 PMAlso, is it really that much different from US rolling in with 200k troops into a country of 25 million?  Clearly in that case 200k troops were more than enough to win the war.

Yes, maybe he can win the war pretty easily (but I'm not sure yet). But what happens next, is my question.

The Larch

QuoteRussian troops land in Odessa and Mariupol, Ukraine officials say

Ukrainian officials say Russian troops have landed in Odessa while others are crossing the border into Kharkiv.

The Ukrainian interior ministry made the announcement on Telegram, adding that rocket attacks are targeting Ukrainian fighter jets at an airport outside Kyiv.

Ukraine's state emergency service says attacks have been launched against 10 Ukrainian regions, primarily in the east and south of the country.

At least seven "powerful" airstrikes on Vasilkovsky airport outside Kyiv, where Ukraine's military fighter bombers are kept, Kyiv command says

Guardian senior reporter Peter Beaumont tells us if the reports coming in from around Ukraine are accurate, this is far from a being a limited operation by Russia.

Instead it looks like military operations of different kinds are being launched in a broad crescent from Odessa in the south-west along the coast eastwards towards Mariupol, through to Kharkiv further north and finally Kyiv at the top of the crescent.

While a lot of reported attacks so far appear to have involved missile strikes, there are unconfirmed reports now via Ifax and elsewhere of troops landing in the south and crossing the border near Kharkiv too.