Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on December 08, 2021, 04:28:53 AM
Russia! What the fuck is Russia?

Russia is a riddle, wrapped in a Belgian waffle, inside an enigma.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

I don't like Munich comparisons - but I'm really uncomfortable with this quint of the US, France, Germany, Italy and the UK talking before and after Biden spoke to Putin. I understand not including Ukraine because they're not in the EU or NATO, but this primarily will have a security impact in Eastern Europe. There are issues with the Polish government but it feels like at least they should be included if only because the EU and NATO have moved on from the 70s when you could have the US, France, Italy, UK and West Germany chatting about policy.

As I say I don't like Munich comparisons but this feels very France and the UK talking about what to do with Czechoslovakia...
Let's bomb Russia!

Zoupa

Quote from: The Brain on December 07, 2021, 02:19:22 PM
Belgians are considered worth fighting for. Ukrainians not so much, apparently.

Nobody is stopping you from joining in the defense of Ukraine. Have at it buddy.

The Brain

Quote from: Zoupa on December 09, 2021, 04:22:57 PM

Nobody is stopping you from joining in the defense of Ukraine. Have at it buddy.

:huh: I haven't guaranteed the territorial integrity of Ukraine.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on December 09, 2021, 05:53:41 PM

Are you sure?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on December 09, 2021, 06:14:40 PM

Are you sure?

Sure enough.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on December 09, 2021, 06:15:20 PM

Are you sure?

Sure enough.

So still a possibility?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on December 09, 2021, 06:16:15 PM
Quote from: The Brain on December 09, 2021, 06:15:20 PM

Are you sure?

Sure enough.

So still a possibility?

What is reality anyway?

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Quote from: Habbaku on December 09, 2021, 06:17:06 PM
What is a man?
Adult male human.  Frankly you could've googled that yourself.

Habbaku

Quote from: DGuller on December 09, 2021, 06:20:09 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on December 09, 2021, 06:17:06 PM
What is a man?
Adult male human.  Frankly you could've googled that yourself.

Statistically probable, sure. But likely?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

OttoVonBismarck

I actually agree with Latvia if Putin does an invasion of Ukraine the U.S. and NATO needs to significantly militarize the Baltics, shift more serious U.S. assets into Poland etc. That actually imposes greater costs on Putin in many ways than economic sanctions (which I also think should be extremely severe in such scenario)--a big enough build up along the frontier of NATO forces Russia to respond in kind, tying it down strategically, ramping up costs it has to put into its military etc etc. Maintaining a large built up military along the Western fringes of the Soviet vassal states during the Cold War was a big cost to the Soviets and one Putin has not really had to pay, he would likely feel compelled to start paying some form of it in this scenario.

mongers

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 09, 2021, 07:07:02 PM
I actually agree with Latvia if Putin does an invasion of Ukraine the U.S. and NATO needs to significantly militarize the Baltics, shift more serious U.S. assets into Poland etc. That actually imposes greater costs on Putin in many ways than economic sanctions (which I also think should be extremely severe in such scenario)--a big enough build up along the frontier of NATO forces Russia to respond in kind, tying it down strategically, ramping up costs it has to put into its military etc etc. Maintaining a large built up military along the Western fringes of the Soviet vassal states during the Cold War was a big cost to the Soviets and one Putin has not really had to pay, he would likely feel compelled to start paying some form of it in this scenario.

Interesting viewpoint Otto, I could see that working.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"