Tea Party Candidate Says It's OK To Stone Gays To Death

Started by garbon, June 12, 2014, 09:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 12, 2014, 04:24:15 PM
But homophobia doesn't just mean fear anymore.

If, as many people prefer, it merely means someone opposed to any public policy advocated by gays, then Ide's original statement is rendered meaningless.

Sheilbh

I don't think anyone would give it that meaning.

But look at Russia. When we're talking about homophobia there we don't mean 'fear'.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 12, 2014, 04:28:50 PM
I don't think anyone would give it that meaning.

But look at Russia. When we're talking about homophobia there we don't mean 'fear'.

I could quibble and say Russian animus is rooted in an irrational fear of "going soft," but generally agree.

But my point still stands.  It's possible to base opposition to gay-approved policy on something other than ill will.  Take for example my reservations about gays in the military.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on June 12, 2014, 04:23:52 PM
The universality of God's love is the very essence of the Christian faith, after all.

The same sects that declare everybody who does not believe as they are going to hell forever?  That is a strange passive aggressive sort of love.  I am not so sure if all Christian sects share this as their very essence.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Didn't that boil down to men don't like to shower with men who like to shower with men? Sounds pretty fearish :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on June 12, 2014, 04:34:07 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 12, 2014, 04:23:52 PM
The universality of God's love is the very essence of the Christian faith, after all.

The same sects that declare everybody who does not believe as they are going to hell forever?  That is a strange passive aggressive sort of love.  I am not so sure if all Christian sects share this as their very essence.

I dunno, only a few fringe churches (like the Witnesses, of the Catholics) believe that "if you don't follow our teachings, it's to Hell! with you"!

In any event, it's not the universality of God's love that is in question, but whether people choose to accept that love.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 12, 2014, 04:35:33 PM
Didn't that boil down to men don't like to shower with men who like to shower with men?

No.

And even if it did, my recognition that men might be uncomfortable showering with men who want to slip their dicks up their asses isn't rooted in ill will towards gays.

The Brain

Men who fear going to a civilian public bath may be slightly weird.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

Quote from: The Brain on June 12, 2014, 04:45:22 PM
Men who fear going to a civilian public bath may be slightly weird.

Men who fear showering naked at a civilian public bath are weird.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on June 12, 2014, 04:37:23 PM
I dunno, only a few fringe churches (like the Witnesses, of the Catholics) believe that "if you don't follow our teachings, it's to Hell! with you"!

Wha?  Huh?  The traditional belief if that if you do not believe in Jesus you are damned.  That is not a fringe belief.

QuoteIn any event, it's not the universality of God's love that is in question, but whether people choose to accept that love.

You have to admit it is a pretty conditional sort of love.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 12, 2014, 04:16:50 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 12, 2014, 03:56:05 PM
One can believe in a God who disapproves of homosexuals without having an irrational fear of homosexuality.

You'd have to define terms pretty carefully for that to be true. 

Belief in a God who disproves of homosexuals is equivalent to believing that the power that constitutes the very nature and structure of the universe has an animus against homosexuality.  That seems pretty equivalent to "fear" unless one is going to quibble about precise meanings.  And such a belief, not being based on any kinds of logical or empirical reasoning process, could fairly be described as irrational.
I think that's really reaching.  You can have disdain for something without being fearful of it in the least.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on June 12, 2014, 04:51:55 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 12, 2014, 04:37:23 PM

Wha?  Huh?  The traditional belief if that if you do not believe in Jesus you are damned.  That is not a fringe belief.

:secret: It was meant as a swipe against the Catholics

"Believe in Jesus" - yes.

"Believe in the Evangelical National Lutheran Church doctrine or go to Hell" - not so much.

QuoteIn any event, it's not the universality of God's love that is in question, but whether people choose to accept that love.

You have to admit it is a pretty conditional sort of love.

umm, no I wouldn't agree with that. :hug:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on June 12, 2014, 04:37:23 PMI dunno, only a few fringe churches (like the Witnesses, of the Catholics) believe that "if you don't follow our teachings, it's to Hell! with you"!
Some fringe :P

Anyway the actual teaching's a little more nuanced than that.

QuoteAnd even if it did, my recognition that men might be uncomfortable showering with men who want to slip their dicks up their asses isn't rooted in ill will towards gays.
No. But there's an element of fear, no?
Let's bomb Russia!

Viking

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 12, 2014, 05:06:51 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 12, 2014, 04:37:23 PMI dunno, only a few fringe churches (like the Witnesses, of the Catholics) believe that "if you don't follow our teachings, it's to Hell! with you"!
Some fringe :P

Anyway the actual teaching's a little more nuanced than that.

And that is Apologist speak for "You are absolutely right but I don't want to think about it."

But for the Witnesses and many Calvinist groups they don't believe that. The Elect are pre-destined to go to heaven. So even if you do follow the teaching you still might end up in hell. You can only hope that the ability to follow the teachings is a sign that you are one of The Elect.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.