News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Favorite Asian Culture?

Started by Queequeg, March 26, 2014, 12:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Favorite Asian culture?  Includes cinema, food, history, anything else.  Inspired by Raja expansion pack for CK2

Iranian
2 (6.9%)
Indian
3 (10.3%)
Central Asian Turkic
1 (3.4%)
Arabic
0 (0%)
Thai, Burmese, Vietnamese, Laotian or Cambodian
4 (13.8%)
Polynesian, Philipino or Indonesian
0 (0%)
Chinese
4 (13.8%)
Mongol, Tibetan, Manchurian, Siberian
0 (0%)
Korean
0 (0%)
Japanese
14 (48.3%)
Other
1 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on March 26, 2014, 01:28:52 PM
Quote from: Jacob on March 26, 2014, 01:20:24 PM
Luckily, I can appreciate each of these cultures on its own merits without the need to compare and rank them :)

Cop out

Whatever, mr. "just because".

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on March 26, 2014, 01:37:49 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 26, 2014, 01:32:15 PM
I guess if strictly on cinema, I'd have to go with India only because of the number of bollywood films that I've seen.

On cinema, it'd be a toss up between Korea (on the strength of a few movies I've really enjoyed) and Japan (more films I've enjoyed, but fewer that have stuck with me as much as my favourite Korean films); but China's a close runner up esp. when you include Taiwan.

On food, I simply can't pick. Same with architecture and history; there's just too much awesome stuff.

It is like asking a parent to pick their favorite kid. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on March 26, 2014, 01:47:51 PM

Arbitrary polls are best answered via arbitrary reasoning.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Queequeg

Quote from: celedhring on March 26, 2014, 01:02:58 PM
Mainland Chinese cinema is really meh. Even once vibrant Honk Kong has been dying since the reincorporation. Only Taiwan does interesting stuff anymore.

Korean and Japanese filmmaking is way more interesting.
Zhang Yimou's late 80s/early 90s stuff is classic. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on March 26, 2014, 01:52:31 PMIt is like asking a parent to pick their favorite kid.

That's pretty easy for me, what with only having one kid. Should I have more, I'll fall back on the "not going to do that."

Which of your kids are your favourite, Valmy?

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on March 26, 2014, 01:53:43 PM
Quote from: Jacob on March 26, 2014, 01:47:51 PM

Arbitrary polls are best answered via arbitrary reasoning.

Alternately, you can argue with Ide about moral relativism.

Ok. You've convinced me. I'll go China, because my wife is Chinese.

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on March 26, 2014, 01:52:31 PM
Quote from: Jacob on March 26, 2014, 01:37:49 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 26, 2014, 01:32:15 PM
I guess if strictly on cinema, I'd have to go with India only because of the number of bollywood films that I've seen.

On cinema, it'd be a toss up between Korea (on the strength of a few movies I've really enjoyed) and Japan (more films I've enjoyed, but fewer that have stuck with me as much as my favourite Korean films); but China's a close runner up esp. when you include Taiwan.

On food, I simply can't pick. Same with architecture and history; there's just too much awesome stuff.

It is like asking a parent to pick their favorite kid.

They always pick the Asian kid.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on March 26, 2014, 01:54:31 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 26, 2014, 01:52:31 PMIt is like asking a parent to pick their favorite kid.

That's pretty easy for me, what with only having one kid. Should I have more, I'll fall back on the "not going to do that."

I love both but I will vote for the older one just because.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on March 26, 2014, 01:54:31 PM

I have a favourite kid. :ph34r:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Queequeg

Don't all parents, even if they don't want to admit it to themselves?   :hmm:
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on March 26, 2014, 01:55:29 PM
Alternately, you can argue with Ide about moral relativism.

Ok. You've convinced me. I'll go China, because my wife is Chinese.

Was that so hard?  Seriously though I agree with you, somehow the seriousness of your tone made me want to bust your nuts a bit.

Ideologue

Quote from: Jacob on March 26, 2014, 01:47:05 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 26, 2014, 01:43:09 PMDoes "culture" for our purposes not include how women are treatment, systems of social organization, intolerance toward religion, racism, etc. :unsure:

Is it just stuff?

Sure it does, but that's not what you were talking about, that's not what I was talking about, and that's not what anyone else in this thread was talking about until you brought it up right now in your post-posting-justification rear-guard action.

You always accuse me of this!  I only rarely actually do that.

Quote from: MEJapan is effectively a Western nation thanks to an early embrace of industrialization, and then forcing us to bomb that industry till they changed their culture into something with recognizable moral values.  Japan is the most like us, and hence Japan is my favorite.

What moral values do you think I was talking about?  The late 1940s turn to naturalistic film peformances rather than formalized theatrical acting styles, and socially aware films rather than propaganda works?

And yeah, I think they have a better and more ethically organized society than PRChina, Iran, or Indonesia.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Queequeg on March 26, 2014, 01:57:10 PM

I have a favorite cat.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Quote from: Ideologue on March 26, 2014, 02:00:35 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on March 26, 2014, 01:57:10 PM

I have a favorite cat.

I don't!