News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Favorite Asian Culture?

Started by Queequeg, March 26, 2014, 12:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Favorite Asian culture?  Includes cinema, food, history, anything else.  Inspired by Raja expansion pack for CK2

Iranian
2 (6.9%)
Indian
3 (10.3%)
Central Asian Turkic
1 (3.4%)
Arabic
0 (0%)
Thai, Burmese, Vietnamese, Laotian or Cambodian
4 (13.8%)
Polynesian, Philipino or Indonesian
0 (0%)
Chinese
4 (13.8%)
Mongol, Tibetan, Manchurian, Siberian
0 (0%)
Korean
0 (0%)
Japanese
14 (48.3%)
Other
1 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 29

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on March 27, 2014, 12:29:51 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 26, 2014, 10:36:22 PM
You mean it was a diverse place prior to the Pleistocene Age.  Numbnuts.

What do you know about Chinese diversity?

Eat me with duck sauce, Xiacob, you condescending fuckstick.

Josquius

China is more diverse of course but don't just shrug off Japan as homogenous. There is quite a lot of diversity in Japan too. And that's even after a century of governments actively trying to kill it.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

There's a substantial difference in regional diversity, where ethnic groups are enclaved by history, poverty or politics, but that doesnt mean it's societally diverse.

But since Xiacob and the Cossacktard are now publishing Chinese Diversity Quarterly, we'll just leave the disussion to the experts.

Gups

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 27, 2014, 12:36:54 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 27, 2014, 12:35:14 AM
Uighurs4eva!
I live near an unbelievably good Uighur restaurant :mmm:

Silk Road?

Been meaning to go there for ever

Lettow77

Tyr, what's all this then? Even in Kansai, which puffs itself up so much as a sort of anti-Kanto, Japan's regional diversity isn't so much of a much. I'd ascribe more difference to Texans and South Carolinians, and they are peas in an idyllic, agrarian pod.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Lettow77 on March 27, 2014, 08:07:44 AM
Tyr, what's all this then? Even in Kansai, which puffs itself up so much as a sort of anti-Kanto, Japan's regional diversity isn't so much of a much. I'd ascribe more difference to Texans and South Carolinians, and they are peas in an idyllic, agrarian pod.

:lol:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Josquius

Quote from: Lettow77 on March 27, 2014, 08:07:44 AM
Given post war Japan was  heavily built on American influenced "Lolz, cars and concrete!!111" the urban centres, and even to an extent smaller places, tend to look much of a muchness. Nonetheless differences still shine through.
Its really interesting how in Japan you really have regional foods that do tend to stick to their region. In Britain we've pretty much figured food out and if something is good it becomes universal around the country. In Japan..not so. The inner-culture of the people tends to vary quite a bit too, Kansai people really do tend to be more outgoing and disrespectful of the rules.
██████
██████
██████

Lettow77

Regional foods is a sort of enforced diversity through a very homogenous obsession with regional specialties, though. How many times can you hear that this small town is renowned for its [variant of noodles, vegetable, fruit] before you stop ascribing it to genuine diversity? m-muh meibutsu

I'll give you the bit about Kansai being less stuffy, but only by degrees. They can't get themselves free from what minna would think or do in any given situation regardless; its just the kansai minna is a slightly different flavor is all.

You might be right, though; as much as I say they aren't very different, I'm pretty partisan to western Japan. Regions that defied the sonno joi are a suspect lot.

Queequeg

:lol:
You are an Otaku who would have supported the Sonno Joi.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Lettow77

>not supporting Hashimoto's glorious second restoration
>supporting the existence of filthy foreigners in Japan

I seriously hope

Queequeg

You don't want foreigners in Japan?
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Norgy

Boy, I bet this thread turned out just the way you thought, Psellus.

Queequeg

I was hoping Lettow was busy getting a kidney stolen by the Yakuza.

Malthus

Quote from: Queequeg on March 27, 2014, 09:18:57 AM
You don't want foreigners in Japan?

Lettow's following his dream - to be massacred by an ultra-nationalist for being a filthy foreigner defiling the sacred soil and womenfolk of Japan .  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Norgy

Quote from: Queequeg on March 27, 2014, 09:21:13 AM
I was hoping Lettow was busy getting a kidney stolen by the Yakuza.

You could put that boy in the most homogenous country in the world and he'd find "northerners" and "southerners" still. Put him on the tundra of Russia, and he'd still find something that reminded him of the South.

"Yes, Yakutsk is almost like sweet ole' Charleston".