News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Favorite Asian Culture?

Started by Queequeg, March 26, 2014, 12:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Favorite Asian culture?  Includes cinema, food, history, anything else.  Inspired by Raja expansion pack for CK2

Iranian
2 (6.9%)
Indian
3 (10.3%)
Central Asian Turkic
1 (3.4%)
Arabic
0 (0%)
Thai, Burmese, Vietnamese, Laotian or Cambodian
4 (13.8%)
Polynesian, Philipino or Indonesian
0 (0%)
Chinese
4 (13.8%)
Mongol, Tibetan, Manchurian, Siberian
0 (0%)
Korean
0 (0%)
Japanese
14 (48.3%)
Other
1 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Queequeg

All of the above are super-national, so India includes Pakistan, Nepal and Sri Lanka, and Iranian includes Afghan and Baloch.  I purposefully left out some of the most Psellus-y because I expected to get crap for it. 

I'm not sure.  Might vote Chinese. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ideologue

1. This is racist.

2.  Japanese.  C'mon.  Akira Kurosawa, Masaki Kobayashi, carrier warfare, Godzilla, high definition technology, bukkake films... the list goes on.  What does any other Asian culture offer that remotely compares?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Over/under on thread hijack on hottest Asians is page and a half.

Zanza

I am not sure what exactly makes a culture a favorite. Out of the places I traveled to in Asia so far, I guess I like South East Asia best.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 26, 2014, 12:32:08 PM
Over/under on thread hijack on hottest Asians is page and a half.

I actually voted on that rationale, given my general ignorance on the cultural matter. Iran.

Jacob

Quote from: Queequeg on March 26, 2014, 12:25:33 PM
All of the above are super-national, so India includes Pakistan, Nepal and Sri Lanka, and Iranian includes Afghan and Baloch.  I purposefully left out some of the most Psellus-y because I expected to get crap for it. 

I'm not sure.  Might vote Chinese.

The Vietnamese, Thai, Burmese, Laotian and Cambodians will surely appreciate being lumped altogether when you give Korea and Japan separate categories :lol:

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Queequeg

SE Asia was divided between Island/Peninsular SE Asia (Malaysia, Indonesia) and continental SE Asia.  I think the shared tradition of Buddhism and Indian and Chinese influence makes the region reasonably coherent.  Probably the most problematic grouping here is Tibet, Mongols and Manchus, but I wanted a West/North China Buddhist category and didn't think there would be enough votes to have separate Tibetan and Mongol, Manchu and Siberian groups. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Quote from: Ideologue on March 26, 2014, 12:29:50 PM
1. This is racist.

2.  Japanese.  C'mon.  Akira Kurosawa, Masaki Kobayashi, carrier warfare, Godzilla, high definition technology, bukkake films... the list goes on.  What does any other Asian culture offer that remotely compares?
China has philosophy, science, literature, religion and history that Japan just doesn't.  There's also substantially more diversity in China. 

Tamas

Quote from: Queequeg on March 26, 2014, 12:52:08 PM
1. This is racist.

China has philosophy, science, literature, religion and history that Japan just doesn't.  There's also substantially more diversity in China.

Ok so now it is Japan's fault that their islands don't spread half a continent wide?

celedhring

Mainland Chinese cinema is really meh. Even once vibrant Honk Kong has been dying since the reincorporation. Only Taiwan does interesting stuff anymore.

Korean and Japanese filmmaking is way more interesting.

Valmy

My favs are the Turkic people and the Indians.  Went with the Turks just because.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

None of them particularly interest me.  I like Vietnamese food, as well as some Japanese and Americanized Chinese food, but that's about as far as my interests go.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ideologue

Quote from: Queequeg on March 26, 2014, 12:52:08 PM
1. This is racist.

Philosophy?  OK libarts.

Science?  How many carriers did Chiang field?

Religion?  Sure they do.  Just ask the thirty million victims of the Taiping Rebellion.

History?  You could say the same thing about Britain and Russia.  Being an island nation has its advantages.

Japan is effectively a Western nation thanks to an early embrace of industrialization, and then forcing us to bomb that industry till they changed their culture into something with recognizable moral values.  Japan is the most like us, and hence Japan is my favorite.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Jacob

I'm quite fond of Japan, but people like Ide and Lettow does take the lustre off a bit.

Luckily, I can appreciate each of these cultures on its own merits without the need to compare and rank them :)