News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Favorite Asian Culture?

Started by Queequeg, March 26, 2014, 12:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Favorite Asian culture?  Includes cinema, food, history, anything else.  Inspired by Raja expansion pack for CK2

Iranian
2 (6.9%)
Indian
3 (10.3%)
Central Asian Turkic
1 (3.4%)
Arabic
0 (0%)
Thai, Burmese, Vietnamese, Laotian or Cambodian
4 (13.8%)
Polynesian, Philipino or Indonesian
0 (0%)
Chinese
4 (13.8%)
Mongol, Tibetan, Manchurian, Siberian
0 (0%)
Korean
0 (0%)
Japanese
14 (48.3%)
Other
1 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 29

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on March 26, 2014, 01:20:24 PM
Luckily, I can appreciate each of these cultures on its own merits without the need to compare and rank them :)

:hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Luckily, I can appreciate each of these cultures on its own merits without the need to compare and rank them :)

Cop out
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on March 26, 2014, 12:58:20 PM
Ok so now it is Japan's fault that their islands don't spread half a continent wide?

Sure.  They had their chance to spread over half a continent in the 20th century and failed to pull it off.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

I guess if strictly on cinema, I'd have to go with India only because of the number of bollywood films that I've seen.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on March 26, 2014, 01:27:03 PM

:hug:

Seriously, though, with each of these cultures that I've had exposure to (and many more), I've found people to be incredibly welcoming and kind. While traveling and doing business I have found people - whatever their culture - to be fundamentally decent and kind, when you meet them in positive or neutral context, whatever their culture.

I haven't had exposure to all of the cultures Spellus lists, but I've had very positive experiences with Iranians, Indians, Arabs, Thai, Vietnamese, Indonesians, Chinese, Koreans, and Japanese. In addition to the people being charming, and often very funny, each of the cultures has pretty awesome cuisine, incredible architecture, fascinating histories, and all kinds of cool bits about them.

Malthus

Fear of Lettowism lowers the Japanese vote ...  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

I don't take the lustre off anything.  Jacob is engaging in moral relativism.  It's okay, it's just his culture. :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on March 26, 2014, 01:32:15 PM
I guess if strictly on cinema, I'd have to go with India only because of the number of bollywood films that I've seen.

On cinema, it'd be a toss up between Korea (on the strength of a few movies I've really enjoyed) and Japan (more films I've enjoyed, but fewer that have stuck with me as much as my favourite Korean films); but China's a close runner up esp. when you include Taiwan.

On food, I simply can't pick. Same with architecture and history; there's just too much awesome stuff.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on March 26, 2014, 01:37:49 PM
On food, I simply can't pick. Same with architecture and history; there's just too much awesome stuff.

Agreed.

Jacob

Quote from: Ideologue on March 26, 2014, 01:37:13 PM
I don't take the lustre off anything.  Jacob is engaging in moral relativism.  It's okay, it's just his culture. :P

Moral relativism? WTF dude? As a lawyer type person I'd expect you to get your basic definitions straight. Which part of this discussion has to do with morality at all?

Norgy

I feel uninformed for not having a favourite culture on every bloody continent.

Ideologue

Quote from: Jacob on March 26, 2014, 01:39:48 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 26, 2014, 01:37:13 PM

Moral relativism? WTF dude? As a lawyer type person I'd expect you to get your basic definitions straight. Which part of this discussion has to do with morality at all?

Does "culture" for our purposes not include how women are treated, systems of social organization, intolerance toward religious and political dissent, racism, etc. :unsure:

Is it just pretty stuff they make?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Jacob

Quote from: Malthus on March 26, 2014, 01:35:23 PM

You know what, fair play to lettow - as idiosyncratic as he is, the Japan of his mind is at least constructed from exposure to the real thing. Sure he is selective in the parts he draws from (then again, who isn't) and he filters it through is own very specific lens, but at least it draws from something.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on March 26, 2014, 01:43:19 PM
Quote from: Malthus on March 26, 2014, 01:35:23 PM

You know what, fair play to lettow - as idiosyncratic as he is, the Japan of his mind is at least constructed from exposure to the real thing. Sure he is selective in the parts he draws from (then again, who isn't) and he filters it through is own very specific lens, but at least it draws from something.

I have to hand it to him - his adoration of japanese culture has not shattered upon exposure to it, as I would have predicted. -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Ideologue on March 26, 2014, 01:43:09 PMDoes "culture" for our purposes not include how women are treatment, systems of social organization, intolerance toward religion, racism, etc. :unsure:

Is it just stuff?

Sure it does, but that's not what you were talking about, that's not what I was talking about, and that's not what anyone else in this thread was talking about until you brought it up right now in your post-posting-justification rear-guard action.

That said, if you have some insight into how these things are markedly preferable in how they are organized in Japan compared to, say, Polynesia, Vietnam, Siberia, China, Korea etc then I'd love to hear about it.