News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2014 Election Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, January 26, 2014, 08:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Early results from Alaska have GOP taking back the other senate seat, independent beating incumbent GOP governor and legal pot passing.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Scipio

Four more years of Silly government ahead of us.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Syt on November 05, 2014, 02:20:04 AM
How was the voter turnout?

I think Iowa might have set a record for an off year.

Had to have set a record for ads in an off year.

derspiess

Sandra Fluke lost her race.  I has a sad :(
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

derspiess

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on November 05, 2014, 02:20:04 AM
How was the voter turnout?

Across Maryland, apparently 40% of registered voters, compared to 54% in 2010.

Baltimore city itself had the worst, though;  about 19% of registered voters, compared to 34% in 2010.  Pretty sad numbers, even for Dazzling Urbanites.

derspiess

Ohio was 40% as well, down from 49% in 2010.

Grey Fox

We had elections this past sunday in Quebec...turnout 4%.

Ok, it was school boards elections.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 05, 2014, 09:58:12 AM
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-polls-were-skewed-toward-democrats/

QuoteThis type of error is not unprecedented — instead it's rather common. As I mentioned, a similar error occurred in 1994, 1998, 2002, 2006 and 2012. It's been about as likely as not, historically. That the polls had relatively little bias in a number of recent election years — including 2004, 2008 and 2010 — may have lulled some analysts into a false sense of security about the polls.

Which is why relying so heavily on statistical analysis in a discipline that doesn't lend itself well to predictive analytics--namely, Political Science--sucks so much.  Politics is a crap shoot subject to human whim, not a science.  IM A POLI CRAP MAJOR