And we're back!

Main Menu

Car Repair Skills Everyone Should Have

Started by alfred russel, January 13, 2014, 12:06:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 17, 2014, 12:07:00 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on January 17, 2014, 10:18:36 AM
BTW, any car can engine brake, manual trans are better for it, but auto trans works too. I have come down a mountain trail without ever touching the brakes, 4 low and low gear all the way down.

There is a confusion of terminology.  Earlier there was a question about signs which ban "engine brakes".  That is really a ban on Jake Brakes.  It is true that gearing down a transmission is a form of engine braking but it is not the type of braking which is banned.

I understand that there's a semantic issue. My post(s) had nothing to do with what was banned, but rather what was loud.
and the horse you rode in on

crazy canuck

Quote from: fhdz on January 17, 2014, 08:36:59 PM
BTW, any car can engine brake, manual trans are better for it, but auto trans works too. I have come down a mountain trail without ever touching the brakes, 4 low and low gear all the way down.

There is a confusion of terminology.  Earlier there was a question about signs which ban "engine brakes".  That is really a ban on Jake Brakes.  It is true that gearing down a transmission is a form of engine braking but it is not the type of braking which is banned.

I understand that there's a semantic issue. My post(s) had nothing to do with what was banned, but rather what was loud.

Jake breaks are loud and so are banned.  Gearing down our using a lower gear down a hill is not necessarily loud and so is not banned.

fhdz

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 18, 2014, 04:46:03 PM

Jake breaks are loud and so are banned.  Gearing down our using a lower gear down a hill is not necessarily loud and so is not banned.

I'm not sure how many different ways there are for me to say that I don't care about what's banned or not banned. You're having an argument with some other person. Pro tip: it isn't me.
and the horse you rode in on

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

Why not just ban everything? Stupid liberals.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

Need those while stylin' and profiling in Kroger.

sbr

Quote from: fhdz on January 18, 2014, 07:01:29 PM

I'm not sure how many different ways there are for me to say that I don't care about what's banned or not banned. You're having an argument with some other person. Pro tip: it isn't me.

:huh:  Normal engine braking is just loud, not banned.

DGuller

Quote from: sbr on January 18, 2014, 08:39:20 PM
Quote from: fhdz on January 18, 2014, 07:01:29 PM

:huh:  Normal engine braking is just loud, not banned.
:huh: Jake brakes are on trucks, and they're sometimes banned.  They're not banned everywhere, maybe that's what's causing the confusion?

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

This entire thread is a microcosm of Languish.  It needs to be dipped in bronze and placed on the mantle for all to see, forever and ever.

PDH

Dipping bronze leads to more sound when you engine brake.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 18, 2014, 09:11:36 PM
This entire thread is a microcosm of Languish.  It needs to be dipped in bronze and placed on the mantle for all to see, forever and ever.

it's amazing some survive when they go outside.