The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 02, 2013, 03:14:27 PM
It seems to me to be built in to the US political system.  Every year the spending for nonentitlement spending has to be agreed to by both houses of Congress.

Is there any precedent where the budget was held up past the deadline in order to repeal a previously passed piece of legislation, rather than creating a separate bill to explicitly repeal it?

crazy canuck

Quote from: frunk on October 02, 2013, 03:28:46 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 02, 2013, 03:14:27 PM
It seems to me to be built in to the US political system.  Every year the spending for nonentitlement spending has to be agreed to by both houses of Congress.

Is there any precedent where the budget was held up past the deadline in order to repeal a previously passed piece of legislation, rather than creating a separate bill to explicitly repeal it?

I was wondering that myself.

Admiral Yi

There is no repeal of Obamacare.  It's still the law of the land.

And I assume you're aware that Republicans have proposed separate funding bills for things like Interior and Veterans and told that Democrats will vote those down.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on October 02, 2013, 03:21:52 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 02, 2013, 03:20:40 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 02, 2013, 03:16:00 PMIt was. You said that they have no other choice.  They do, it just isn't palatable.

:rolleyes:

:)

I forgot that I should have written several paragraphs as my initial reply. -_-

I was implying that your understatement made your suggestion border on the ludicrous.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

At what point will Republicans simply admit defeat turn their attention elsewhere?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on October 02, 2013, 03:35:47 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 02, 2013, 03:21:52 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 02, 2013, 03:20:40 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 02, 2013, 03:16:00 PMIt was. You said that they have no other choice.  They do, it just isn't palatable.

:rolleyes:

:)

I forgot that I should have written several paragraphs as my initial reply. -_-

I was implying that your understatement made your suggestion border on the ludicrous.

Sure, I can understand that you could hold such a point of view.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on October 02, 2013, 01:12:45 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 02, 2013, 01:04:24 PM
Quote from: Maximus on October 02, 2013, 12:56:48 PM
Which would be 2 or 3 more times than I hear anyone else talk about her.

You're lucky, then.
My guess would be that it's not luck, but rather great prudence in the company Max keeps.  Michelle Obama is only even remotely interesting to those who wish to mock stalk her.
FYPFY
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on October 02, 2013, 03:49:00 PMSure, I can understand that you could hold such a point of view.

See Ide? A liberal arts education, right there.

:cry:

frunk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 02, 2013, 03:32:04 PM

There is no repeal of Obamacare.  It's still the law of the land.

And I assume you're aware that Republicans have proposed separate funding bills for things like Interior and Veterans and told that Democrats will vote those down.

The initial threats were for repeal, it was gradually softened to delays in attempts to get it to work.

Jacob

Quote from: frunk on October 02, 2013, 04:23:15 PMThe initial threats were for repeal, it was gradually softened to delays in attempts to get it to work.

"Delays", yes. "To get it to work", no.

As I understand it, if the individual mandate is delayed the whole edifice is likely to self-destruct. So a delay to the individual mandate is essentially a repeal.

Admiral Yi

I think he means get it to work in the sense of getting enough votes.

Jacob

Phillip V

My Army Reserve duty this weekend has been cancelled. :cry: