The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Ideologue

Quote from: Jacob on October 02, 2013, 01:51:04 PM
But - for the second moment of ignoring your biased framing - the Democrats will and should allow it. Not for political gain, but because they have no other choice.

What about a coup d'etat?  We have the loyalty of the legions.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Quote from: Ideologue on October 02, 2013, 02:58:10 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 02, 2013, 01:51:04 PM
But - for the second moment of ignoring your biased framing - the Democrats will and should allow it. Not for political gain, but because they have no other choice.

What about a coup d'etat?  We have the loyalty of the legions.

Miller Lite does.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

frunk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 02, 2013, 03:01:43 PM
He's right.  You may consider it a very bad choice, but there is a choice.

I think it's way worse than a very bad choice, it's a corruption of the whole US political system.  We have a portion of one representative body holding hostage the government and blackmailing the other representative body and the executive to reverse previously passed legislation (and can theoretically do it again on a regular basis over any issue).  There's no way that should be allowed to work.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 02, 2013, 03:01:43 PMHe's right.  You may consider it a very bad choice, but there is a choice.

That's not what he said, though.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: frunk on October 02, 2013, 03:10:07 PM
I think it's way worse than a very bad choice, it's a corruption of the whole US political system.  We have a portion of one representative body holding hostage the government and blackmailing the other representative body and the executive to reverse previously passed legislation (can can theoretically do it again on a regular basis over any issue).  There's no way that should be allowed to work.

It seems to me to be built in to the US political system.  Every year the spending for nonentitlement spending has to be agreed to by both houses of Congress.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on October 02, 2013, 03:14:00 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 02, 2013, 03:01:43 PMHe's right.  You may consider it a very bad choice, but there is a choice.

That's not what he said, though.

That is what I was implying though.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

sbr

But you don't understand frunk, they really really hate obamacare.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on October 02, 2013, 03:15:13 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 02, 2013, 03:14:43 PMThat is what I was implying though.

:yeahright:

It was. You said that they have no other choice.  They do, it just isn't palatable.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on October 02, 2013, 03:16:00 PMIt was. You said that they have no other choice.  They do, it just isn't palatable.

:rolleyes:

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on October 02, 2013, 03:20:40 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 02, 2013, 03:16:00 PMIt was. You said that they have no other choice.  They do, it just isn't palatable.

:rolleyes:

:)

I forgot that I should have written several paragraphs as my initial reply. -_-