The Government Shutdown Countdown Lowdown MEGATHREAD

Started by CountDeMoney, September 17, 2013, 09:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on October 02, 2013, 12:11:43 PM
Quote from: grumbler on October 02, 2013, 09:06:16 AM
Bushcare is the base from which Obamacare is making changes.  The problem is that the Right-wing Republicans are happy with Bushcare, with its 10+% per-year cost increases, because the folks who own the right-wing Republicans are the ones pocketing the change.
I don't think that the motivation for Republicans, though.  I think what Republicans are really scared of is Obamacare working, or at least not crashing and burning.  It's a pretty insidious motivation if true, but there is a reason that psychopaths are over-represented in politics.

:lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on October 02, 2013, 12:16:09 PM:lol:

Well... it's not true for Republican voters, of course, but for the politicians?

I mean... if Obamacare is actually as disastrous as Republicans claim, why keep fighting it? Why not let it go through and let the Democrats reap what they sowed?

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on October 02, 2013, 12:30:38 PM
I mean... if Obamacare is actually as disastrous as Republicans claim, why keep fighting it? Why not let it go through and let the Democrats reap what they sowed?

Because they don't actually want the country "destroyed" as they see it? Besides, a policy can be bad and have terrible consequences and yet stay in place (aka not fail).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

The Republicans are fighting this because they know it is the last change to stop the overall move to government provided healthcare.

Obamacare might be terrible, but once it is in place, no matter how badly it works or doesn't work, the discourse will shift to not whether we should have single player, government managed healthcare, but rather to how to make it work better.

Which is why the Dems are willing to go ahead with what is obviously a pretty much crap solution.

Both sides are doing exactly what it makes sense for them to do given their ideologies. The Republicans have to fight this tooth and nail, it is their last chance.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Well... it's not true for Republican voters, of course, but for the politicians?

Why not default and let the Republicans reap what they sowed?

Valmy

Because once a government policy goes into place it is very difficult to reverse.  They know once ObamaCare goes into effect getting rid of it will be almost tantamount to political suicide.  You just need a certain critical mass of people and businesses who benefit from something and it is almost untouchable no matter if it benefits the country as a whole or not.

I mean look at the freaking farm subsidies.  Almost everybody hates them but if they were ever seriously challenged lots of people would get tossed out of office.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maximus

Quote from: grumbler on October 02, 2013, 08:58:21 AM
Yeah.  I am amused by the fact that spicey follows Michelle Obama on twitter.
He has some kind of obsession with her. He's constantly going on about her hair, her teeth, her arms etc.

derspiess

Saw this on Facebook and immediately thought of you guys:

"More guards at WWII Memorial than at Benghazi" 

:D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Maximus on October 02, 2013, 12:53:14 PM
He has some kind of obsession with her. He's constantly going on about her hair, her teeth, her arms etc.

Oh, I do, I do.  I must mention her at least 2 or 3 times a year!
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Maximus

Quote from: derspiess on October 02, 2013, 12:55:10 PM
Quote from: Maximus on October 02, 2013, 12:53:14 PM

Oh, I do, I do.  I must mention her at least 2 or 3 times a year!
Which would be 2 or 3 more times than I hear anyone else talk about her.

derspiess

Quote from: Maximus on October 02, 2013, 12:56:48 PM

You're lucky, then.

lustindarkness

So Barry made sure our active duty military will get paid right? And who manages DFAS? Civilians that have been furloughed!  :lol:

I guess Siege will get paid... eventually. Same as all other fed employees.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

lustindarkness

The more I read about this, the more sad I get for our country, what a mess. Freaking congress and senate should be cleaned out, all of them.

I wish term limits were brought back .
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on October 02, 2013, 01:04:24 PM
Quote from: Maximus on October 02, 2013, 12:56:48 PM

You're lucky, then.
My guess would be that it's not luck, but rather great prudence in the company Max keeps.  Michelle Obama is only even remotely interesting to those who wish to mock her.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 02, 2013, 12:36:42 PMWhy not default and let the Republicans reap what they sowed?

Isn't that what's going to happen?