How many people in Quebec are like Viper and Grallon?

Started by Razgovory, August 15, 2013, 06:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: merithyn on August 28, 2013, 05:27:46 PMAt the time that was established as our slogan, however, we were neither large nor very diverse. We grew while our slogan remained the same, despite all of the challenges that came up with our growth and changes.

Fair enough, actually.

QuoteI'm not saying that Canada didn't. I'm just saying that applying the argument of how large and diverse the US is to our slogan is a bit disingenous.

Nah, I think you're right there - Canada wasn't so much founded on "a big idea". It has generally been an incremental adjustment of the situation to fit the facts on the ground as they changed.

However, I don't see how those facts - and that's the original point that this branch of the conversation - support Zoupa's assertion that there's no such thing as Canadian culture, or Yi's that Canadian culture lacks distinctiveness.

Zoupa

I was sorta tongue in cheek. I think the lack of culture in the textbook definition is in fact what canadian culture is all about. No big driving force, no manifest destiny, no national idea/ideal. That's why most Canadians see multiculturalism as part of Canadian culture.

I'm not trying to be insulting or rude, but I don't see a Canadian culture. Canada is settler land. It's a nice place to live though, that's for sure.

I missed you guys  :blush: I've been lurking though.

merithyn

Quote from: Jacob on August 28, 2013, 06:00:40 PM
Quote from: merithyn on August 28, 2013, 05:27:46 PMAt the time that was established as our slogan, however, we were neither large nor very diverse. We grew while our slogan remained the same, despite all of the challenges that came up with our growth and changes.

Fair enough, actually.

QuoteI'm not saying that Canada didn't. I'm just saying that applying the argument of how large and diverse the US is to our slogan is a bit disingenous.

Nah, I think you're right there - Canada wasn't so much founded on "a big idea". It has generally been an incremental adjustment of the situation to fit the facts on the ground as they changed.

However, I don't see how those facts - and that's the original point that this branch of the conversation - support Zoupa's assertion that there's no such thing as Canadian culture, or Yi's that Canadian culture lacks distinctiveness.

I wasn't trying to. I was just pointing it out. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Maximus

I actually agree with Zoupa I think. I see the need to force a Canadian culture as a Trudeauist agenda.

Jacob

Quote from: Zoupa on August 28, 2013, 08:59:58 PMI'm not trying to be insulting or rude, but I don't see a Canadian culture. Canada is settler land. It's a nice place to live though, that's for sure.

Do you see a Quebecois culture?

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 28, 2013, 02:58:39 PM
Quote from: Malthus on August 28, 2013, 02:46:50 PM
No offence, but the intention wasn't to amuse you Yanks, but to create a society we would want to live in.  :lol:

As cultures are not created by intention, I assume you're talking about the slogan.

The slogan was clearly formulated with the intention of offending no one.  Who can possibly be against good government?

Anarchists and Libertarians.  Good government weakens their arguments.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zoupa

Quote from: Jacob on August 28, 2013, 11:18:19 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on August 28, 2013, 08:59:58 PMI'm not trying to be insulting or rude, but I don't see a Canadian culture. Canada is settler land. It's a nice place to live though, that's for sure.

Yes, the vague contours started forming in the 60s. This is just a personal opinion. I think everybody has their own definition of what culture means.

Malthus

Quote from: Zoupa on August 28, 2013, 08:59:58 PM
I was sorta tongue in cheek. I think the lack of culture in the textbook definition is in fact what canadian culture is all about. No big driving force, no manifest destiny, no national idea/ideal. That's why most Canadians see multiculturalism as part of Canadian culture.

I'm not trying to be insulting or rude, but I don't see a Canadian culture. Canada is settler land. It's a nice place to live though, that's for sure.

Disagree. There doesn't have to be a planned driving force or manifest destiny for there to be a "culture".

Canada has a set of national ideals, which have emerged over time and which differ from those of the US (for example). They are, essentially, an emphasis of social harmony and balancing of interests, as opposed to the US focus on individual liberty. That's why "multiculturalism" is appealing to Canadians - it fits in with an already-existing national Canadian culture, formed (ironically enough, in the context of this discussion) by the Canadian history of attempting to deal with accomodating the competing interests of English colonialists, French settlers and Native Canadians.

When people say "Canada has no culture" they are referring to the fact that Canada attempts (not always successfully mind you!) not to officially value or promote the pre-existing culture of one of its constituent peoples over the others - which is all part of the specifically Canadian culture of seeking balance and social harmony. People may not see it, but it cannot be denied that it exists, and some people at least find it a powerful and attractive thing.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on August 29, 2013, 08:39:20 AM
Canada has a set of national ideals, which have emerged over time and which differ from those of the US (for example). They are, essentially, an emphasis of social harmony and balancing of interests, as opposed to the US focus on individual liberty.

I think you might be painting that with too big of a wide brush. Certainly during the course of the 20th and 21st centuries, the US has put a lot of effort into a collective and not just individual freedom (looking at our social spending - and sure we don't have the best functioning system but I think it'd be a mistaken to say our focus is just on individual liberty*).

*particularly during the last decade or so in US history where we've been sacrificing more and more personal liberty for perceived public good.

Also, I thought it was francophone nations/areas that put the most focus on the rights of the collective over the individual.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Zoupa on August 29, 2013, 01:34:56 AM
Quote from: Jacob on August 28, 2013, 11:18:19 PM

Yes, the vague contours started forming in the 60s. This is just a personal opinion. I think everybody has their own definition of what culture means.

I judge cultures based on the quality of computer games they have produced.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on August 29, 2013, 09:15:52 AM
Quote from: merithyn on August 29, 2013, 09:09:17 AM
Quote from: Malthus on August 29, 2013, 08:39:20 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on August 28, 2013, 08:59:58 PM

Disagree.

We really can argue anything, can't we?

I ... assume this is a joke.  :)

And we've completely lost our sense of humor, too, apparently.  :rolleyes: