News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Fed Succession

Started by The Minsky Moment, July 29, 2013, 06:59:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

No, but fed spending has increased while state spending has receded.

Additionally: the running deficit, such as it is, is in large part thanks to the collapse of the tax base during a recession, while entitlement expenditures automatically increased.  I'm not sure food stamps and UI count as a deliberate "stimulus."
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on July 31, 2013, 12:20:30 AM
No, but fed spending has increased while state spending has receded.

Additionally: the running deficit, such as it is, is in large part thanks to the collapse of the tax base during a recession, while entitlement expenditures automatically increased.  I'm not sure food stamps and UI count as a deliberate "stimulus."

Keynesian theory is not dependent on the level of spending, rather on the amount of spending that is financed by borrowing.  If the public sector were 80% of GDP (i.e., Cuba) one could still run at a surplus and be contractionary in Keynesian terms.

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on July 30, 2013, 10:34:52 PM
Yeah... I'm not sure that the argument that goldbugs, Austrian school followers, and ignoramuses won't harm the American economy because "common sense says they won't have any influence" (that's a rephrasing) is that convincing.
:yeah: Fahdiz is clearly picking on Raz on inertia, and not because he has a good argument.

Ed Anger

Speaking of Silver, I've lost 10 bucks an ounce since I let a friend repay a debt in Silver. TEN BUCKS AN OUNCE. WHARGARBLL.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on July 31, 2013, 09:17:27 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 31, 2013, 08:20:58 AM
since I let a friend repay a debt in Silver.

WTF?

Ed Anger, SVP, Bazaar Finance and Administration.

Ed Anger

Quote from: garbon on July 31, 2013, 09:17:27 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 31, 2013, 08:20:58 AM
since I let a friend repay a debt in Silver.

WTF?

I didn't know commodity prices were going to go into the toilet.

Ed Anger

I did buy a shitload of ammo for a bit of it. LOL BARTER SYSTEM

MadImmortalMan

Any good stuff yet from any non-crazies either in favor of or criticizing either Yellen or Summers?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Minsky Moment

John Taylor, inventor of the "Taylor Rule" for central bank management, and with impeccable conservative credentials - just expressed a preference Yellen over Summers on his blog.  It was far from a full-throated endorsement for Yellen but a clear vote over Summers.

http://economicsone.com/2013/07/29/about-rules-based-monetary-policy-summers-versus-yellen/
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on July 30, 2013, 11:33:31 PM
Have we?  Where are all the Obamajobs?

They are there. 
Let's say the response to 2008 had been to do all the wrong things, like we did in 1929-30.  Then we could have well seen the 25% unemployment rates we say then.
Let's say we didn't do that but there was no TARP, no QEs and no stimulus.  Then we would have see unemployment go well abvoe 10%, which didn't happen.
Avoiding a "worse bad" may not look spectacular but the effects are very meaningful.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

citizen k

"The first panacea for a mismanaged nation is inflation of the currency; the second is war. Both bring a temporary prosperity; both bring a permanent ruin. But both are the refuge of political and economic opportunists."

Ernest Hemingway, The Next War

citizen k

Quote from: Ideologue on July 29, 2013, 07:05:02 PM
I'm not saying that we should put people in camps, but if we were going to start putting people into camps, a professed belief in "hard money" would be a good category to start with.

"There are many who do not know they are fascists but will find it out when the time comes." 

Ernest Hemingway, For Whom the Bell Tolls