News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Fed Succession

Started by The Minsky Moment, July 29, 2013, 06:59:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 31, 2013, 08:19:28 PM
Not really. It's like saying certain security policies prevent terrorist attacks, as is demonstrated by the lack of terrorist attacks. Which seems reasonable to me.
QuoteHomer: Not a bear in sight.  The Bear Patrol must be working like a charm.
Lisa: That's spacious reasoning, Dad.
Homer: Thank you, dear.
Lisa: By your logic I could claim that this rock keeps tigers away.
Homer: Oh, how does it work?
Lisa: It doesn't work.
Homer: Uh-huh.
Lisa: It's just a stupid rock.
Homer: Uh-huh.
Lisa: But I don't see any tigers around, do you?
Homer: Lisa, I want to buy your rock.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 31, 2013, 09:09:34 PM
He didn't even mention it once in A General Equilibrium?

?
General Theory?

Walras and Arrow were the general equilibrium guys,
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

The Minsky Moment

Summers withdrew.

It is sad in a sense as I think he is an impressive person.  However, the campaign for him revealed 2 things: the usual ineffectiveness of this WH in building support for appointees, and the fact the Summers himself lacks any real support base either inside or outside Washington.

In this case, IMO it is a good result as the Fed job was not really a good fit for him.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ideologue

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 17, 2013, 09:09:29 AM
Summers withdrew.

It is sad in a sense as I think he is an impressive person.  However, the campaign for him revealed 2 things: the usual ineffectiveness of this WH in building support for appointees, and the fact the Summers himself lacks any real support base either inside or outside Washington.

In this case, IMO it is a good result as the Fed job was not really a good fit for him.

So it'll be Yellen, right?  I've trusted to Paul Krugman that she was always the right technocrat for the job.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on September 17, 2013, 09:34:43 AM
So it'll be Yellen, right? 

She is on the inside track.  Her only problem is lack of any personal contacts at the WH.  A bunch of other former vice-chairs - Blinder, Kohn, Ferguson - are also in play. 
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

I think Summers is a cautionary tale for really intelligent people like me.  He shows that even very intelligent people can fuck things up big time if they lack humility or appreciation for the limits of their intelligence.

Ed Anger

Quote from: DGuller on September 17, 2013, 09:57:02 AM
I think Summers is a cautionary tale for really intelligent people like me.  He shows that even very intelligent people can fuck things up big time if they lack humility or appreciation for the limits of their intelligence.

Humility, thy name is DGuller.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

AFAIK, Yellen hadn't even been vetted yet. So Summers withdrawal might have been a great big monkeywrench in the original plan.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

citizen k

"For my own part," Ms. Yellen said, "I did not see and did not appreciate what the risks were with securitization, the credit ratings agencies, the shadow banking system, the S.I.V.'s — I didn't see any of that coming until it happened."

Ideologue

So she's honest.  PAUL KRUGMAN SAID GIVE HER THE FUCKING JOB.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Ed Anger

KRUGMAN YOU STUPID AUTOCORRECT

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall