Supreme Court: Section 4 of Voting Rights Act Unconstitutional

Started by Kleves, June 25, 2013, 09:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on June 27, 2013, 09:24:52 PM

Nope, but it needs to change.

Okay, why then?  If the means to ascertain the eligibility to vote in the past were sufficient why are the ones now insufficient?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on June 27, 2013, 09:43:17 PM

Okay, why then?  If the means to ascertain the eligibility to vote in the past were sufficient why are the ones now insufficient?

To prove who you are.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on June 27, 2013, 09:51:54 PM

To prove who you are.

No, why does it need to change?  You have already indicated that in the past elections were valid so presumably people could prove who they were.  So the "prove who you are" hurdle has been passed.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on June 27, 2013, 09:54:49 PM

To prove who you are.

No, why does it need to change?  You have already indicated that in the past elections were valid so presumably people could prove who they were.  So the "prove who you are" hurdle has been passed.

Apparently the hurdle is not passed. If the hurdle was past all states would require picture ID.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on June 27, 2013, 09:59:24 PM

To prove who you are.

Apparently the hurdle is not passed. If the hurdle was past all states would require picture ID.

That's some impressive circular reasoning. :lol:   Was the last election valid?  If no voter ID laws are passed between now in 2014 will the next election be valid?

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on June 27, 2013, 10:03:01 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 27, 2013, 09:59:24 PM

To prove who you are.

Was the last election valid?  If no voter ID laws are passed between now in 2014 will the next election be valid?

Of course, but it needs to change.

Razgovory

They are valid but they still need to change?  That doesn't really make sense, unless you don't want them to be valid. Is this "prove who you are" thing actually related to elections and voting or is this just some personal thing where you want everyone to carry a picture ID with them at all times.   Cause at this point it doesn't seem linked anymore.

Here's what I'm seeing: US elections have been valid.  They are currently valid.  They will be valid next time if nobody does anything.  We should change the election laws so that you must "prove who you are".   The last part isn't follow from the rest.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 27, 2013, 07:41:50 PM
I know what you look like.  You don't have to show me what you look like.  Election officials dont' know what you look like.  And your bank statement doesn't tell them what you look like either.

Why does it matter what you look like when you're voting?

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on June 27, 2013, 09:43:07 PM
The other side is trying to protect people from having their votes suppressed.  If there are hysterics there, it's from the dismay that in this day and age fellow American citizens can still be so shamelessly cynical, and that so many are willing to surrender this country's values for partisan gain.

Yeah, exactly.

Now, if all these "photo ID to vote" also advocated putting significant resources and effort into providing acceptable ID to the millions who do not have them they might have a convincing case. But as long as their main response to people talking about the practical obstacles is "lol is it really hard  :rolleyes:" and "well, if they're too lazy to do even that then it's their own fault" then they're not going to shake the stink of partisan voter suppression.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on June 27, 2013, 10:26:55 PM
Why does it matter what you look like when you're voting?

No one said it did.  Well, Before implied it. Ask him.

I was responding to Raz' comment that he already shows who he is when he votes.

Now my question for you is, if I point out to Raz that in fact he does not show who he is, how does it lead to your question about mattering?  What's the train of thought?  What's the logical progression that gets you from point A to point B?

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on June 27, 2013, 10:15:38 PM
They are valid but they still need to change?  That doesn't really make sense, unless you don't want them to be valid. Is this "prove who you are" thing actually related to elections and voting or is this just some personal thing where you want everyone to carry a picture ID with them at all times.   Cause at this point it doesn't seem linked anymore.

Here's what I'm seeing: US elections have been valid.  They are currently valid.  They will be valid next time if nobody does anything.  We should change the election laws so that you must "prove who you are".   The last part isn't follow from the rest.

You think it doesnt need to change..cool beans on you.

I think it needs to change.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 27, 2013, 10:45:41 PM
No one said it did.  Well, Before implied it. Ask him.

I was responding to Raz' comment that he already shows who he is when he votes.

Now my question for you is, if I point out to Raz that in fact he does not show who he is, how does it lead to your question about mattering?  What's the train of thought?  What's the logical progression that gets you from point A to point B?

So far, the most coherent argument that has been given in this thread for requiring ID to vote is so that voters can "show what they look like."

I'm trying to find out why that matters. Maybe you can help me out?

11B4V

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on June 27, 2013, 11:01:07 PM
So far, the most coherent argument that has been given in this thread for requiring ID to vote is so that voters can "show what they look like."

I'm trying to find out why that matters. Maybe you can help me out?

That's not answering my question.  How did you get from my assertion that Raz is not showing who he is to "it matters that he show who he is?"