News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Women as Army Rangers and Navy Seals by 2016

Started by jimmy olsen, June 18, 2013, 01:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

I get all sweaty thinking about doing one push up.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 20, 2013, 05:56:08 AM
I get all sweaty thinking about doing one push up.
There's no shame in that.  Just think of yourself as handi-capable.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: 11B4V on June 19, 2013, 09:12:14 PM
Again read what has been posted.

I have read it :)  Your argument is that no female could possibly meet the standard based on assumptions based on average test scores.  Rather odd given the fact there are always outliers who could meet the male standard.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 20, 2013, 11:29:48 AM

I have read it :)  Your argument is that no female could possibly meet the standard based on assumptions based on average test scores.  Rather odd given the fact there are always outliers who could meet the male standard.

That was not his argument.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on June 20, 2013, 11:31:22 AM

That was not his argument.

I will break it down for you.  He has argued that the military must necessarily provide a lower standard for females because holding them to the same minimum standards as males would be unequal.  He comes to this conclusion in part from an observation that certain of the male standards would be over 100% of what a female can do.

The fatal flaw in his argument is that the special forces could, if valid, make a case that the male standard is the minimum standard which both males and females must now meet.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 20, 2013, 11:36:32 AM
I will break it down for you.  He has argued that the military must necessarily provide a lower standard for females because holding them to the same minimum standards as males would be unequal.  He comes to this conclusion in part from an observation that certain of the male standards would be over 100% of what a female can do.

The fatal flaw in his argument is that the special forces could, if valid, make a case that the male standard is the minimum standard which both males and females must now meet.

He was saying this was what has been done in the past and based on that this is what he suspects will happen in the future.  Now he could be wrong, as you say, but he never said no woman could ever meet the standards which is what you said he said here:

QuoteI have read it   Your argument is that no female could possibly meet the standard based on assumptions based on average test scores.  Rather odd given the fact there are always outliers who could meet the male standard.

Which is the part that was not his argument...so far as I could see.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

11B4V

No again.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 20, 2013, 11:36:32 AM

That is what I thought he was saying as well, but now I understand it is not so. 
I think he is saying that the Ranger Physical exam is based on earning a certain number of "points" in defined physical tasks.  Under the existing Army Physical regs, for some of those tasks "70 points" corresponds to a different raw number (time., # of reps) for men and women.  So for those tasks, the standard is already lower for women under the existing regulations.  Right now, that doesn't matter for Ranger qualification because women aren't eligible but if that rule is changed it would be become relevant.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Ok,

Glad you could put his argument better.

Here is a question for you Minsky.  Under American law how can there be two separate minimum standards - one for women and one for men?  Under Canadian law a considered decision would have to be made as to the minimum standard for a given activity and that standard would be applied to both men and women equally.

11B4V

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 20, 2013, 06:45:31 PM
Ok,

Glad you could put his argument better.

Here is a question for you Minsky.  Under American law how can there be two separate minimum standards - one for women and one for men?  Under Canadian law a considered decision would have to be made as to the minimum standard for a given activity and that standard would be applied to both men and women equally.

Glad you can understand it.

How? Males and Females are not the same in physical ability/or physilogy. No amount of PC BS will change that. Generally males have more upper body strength, hence why the low standards for the females on the push-ups. Sit-up standards are the same. Run is also lower for the females. Dont believe me look it up.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

merithyn

Quote from: 11B4V on June 20, 2013, 06:57:43 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck

Glad you can understand it.

How?

By making the standards job-dependent, not gender-dependent. In other words, the requirements to do the job are the only way to judge the standards.

That seems to make the most sense, though it requires a radical shift in attitude in the military, which doesn't come easily.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...