News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Elon - why the hate for the other 25 amendments?  Do you want slavery back that badly?

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

Soo.... Apparently kamalas accent and occasional code switching is a dire thing for trumpies? :lol:

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 20, 2024, 05:49:58 PMhttps://petition.theamericapac.org/

This is the petition signing site.  Turns out the lottery is open to people in any of the seven swing states.  You get $47 for each referral that signs the petition.  Exclusive offer for PENNSYLVANIA ONLY ONLY ONLY signing the petition gets you $100 and each referral gets you $100. 

"The First and Second Amendments guarantee freedom of speech and the right to bear arms. By signing below, I am pledging my support for the First and Second Amendments."

Wait. $47 (odd number. Why not 50?)for referring somebody to signing this?
... Sounds like you just need a pennsylvania phone book (it's 2024. So Google maps) and a bunch of email addresses and you can make quite a lot

Ironic for musk of all people to be pro free speech.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on October 20, 2024, 06:45:57 PMI thought that you had to know something about US civics before you could become a US citizen.  Maybe if you are rich enough to bribe the right people, that's not an issue.

A reasonable expectation, but a standard that was created at a time when at least a majority of US citizens could meet it.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 21, 2024, 10:43:31 AM
Quote from: grumbler on October 20, 2024, 06:45:57 PMI thought that you had to know something about US civics before you could become a US citizen.  Maybe if you are rich enough to bribe the right people, that's not an issue.

A reasonable expectation, but a standard that was created at a time when at least a majority of US citizens could meet it.

I think generally expectations are higher of immigrants seeking to naturalize than general populations.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on October 21, 2024, 10:54:09 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 21, 2024, 10:43:31 AM

I think generally expectations are higher of immigrants seeking to naturalize than general populations.

Yes, there are no standards for people born in the country.  As it should be. My point is that the standards for immigrants had been set at a time when the standard would have also been met by the general population.  Over the years that has diverged, and not just in the US.  I think it would be fair to say that the knowledge required of a person seeking citizenship in Canada is also greater compared to the general population than it once was.

The answer is to bring the knowledge of the general population back up.  Easier said than done.

Legbiter

That's it. That's this timeline in a nutshell.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

garbon

Quote from: Legbiter on October 21, 2024, 12:20:06 PM

That's it. That's this timeline in a nutshell.

Didn't he do that as an attack on Kamala?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

So I hear. Which makes no sense.
Harris actually worked in McDonald's once long ago... So trump does a photo op pretending to?
Haha poors are so terrible?
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Runciman is doing a series looking at political movies.  His latest episode is on Citizen Kane.  Trump has said it is his favourite movie.  Runciman explains how Trump completely misunderstood the message of the movie.  That picture could be the poster for the podcast.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-great-political-films-citizen-kane/id1682047968?i=1000673717913

garbon

Quote from: Josquius on October 21, 2024, 01:17:40 PMSo I hear. Which makes no sense.
Harris actually worked in McDonald's once long ago... So trump does a photo op pretending to?

There was some strange thing about them mocking her for not having it on her CV. He then said with his little photo op that he worked there longer than she had.

crazy canuck

From an article in the NY Times today about young men being attracted to the far right in the US.  I think we are seeing the same thing in Canada.  The effect on Canada is not surprising given how much we are influenced by the US.  But what is surprising is that young men in North America are turning to the right in these sorts of numbers.  I think it was Malthus who observed that young men will typically go where the young women are going, and so if young women skew left, so will young men.  But something has happened to disrupt that natural course of things.  Perhaps it is because young men spend less time in the company of young women and more time in front of a screen with other young men?

QuoteGeneration Z is poised to flex its growing political muscle in the 2024 presidential election, and in my surveys and focus groups with these voters, I'm seeing the strong potential for a turning point in American political alignment. Unlike other recent Republican presidential nominees, Donald Trump is making young men a central focus of his campaign. If effective, his effort could peel enough away from the Democratic Party to transform the country's electoral math for years to come.

Recent data from the Harvard Youth Poll, a national survey I oversee for the Harvard Kennedy School Institute of Politics, reveals an increasing political rift between young men and women under 30, two groups critical to Democrats' success in recent elections. Almost exactly equal shares of young men and young women say they will definitely vote in this election or have already done so. But since the spring of 2020, the share of young men identifying as registered Democrats has dropped by seven percentage points, while those identifying as Republicans have increased by seven points — a net shift of 14 points in just four years. Young women, during the same period, shifted two points away from the Republicans.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on October 21, 2024, 01:40:20 PM
Quote from: Josquius on October 21, 2024, 01:17:40 PMSo I hear. Which makes no sense.

There was some strange thing about them mocking her for not having it on her CV. He then said with his little photo op that he worked there longer than she had.

The line in the MAGA-sphere is that she lied about working there, just because nobody can find documentary proof from working at McDonalds 40 years ago.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Sounds much  like the general European pattern. I recall seeing a great analysis of it some time ago by a German guy - iirc a key thing it came down to was the economy shifting towards "women's work" focussed on interpersonal skills and drastically away from "men's work" focussed on hard labour.

I recall donkies ago when I met Boris Johnson he gave a talk about the trouble with too many women going to uni meaning they'd have nobody to marry.
Ridiculous at the core but we do look set for some interesting dynamics.
I hope this will work in reverse to the usual cliche with teenage boys being horrid little nazi shits but then once they get out, grow up a bit, and start meeting real people (including women!) they'll chill.
I can certainly understand how many end up on the dark path.
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

Apparentrly the people at McD's didn't get paid by Trump like they were supposed to?
PDH!