News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

There were also a ton of rogue-likes, souls-likes, XYZ-likes, metroidvanias of every kind.  Only one that managed to pique my interest was Spirit of the Samurai.  Silly story, but the art looked nice.  And it has a kitten.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

Precinct worked fine on my Dec.

I get it. But... Yeah. Maybe not for me. Perhaps part of the age old problem of doing gta but as a cop, many games have tried and failed at this in the somewhat distant past.

If it stuck to the action and set pieces it could be good but having to read rights, transport perps and all that sort of thing... I can see it getting old fast.

I've also tried House of Legacy. A city builder which looks beautiful.

The demo sucks. Just click click click. Seems way too overly complex around personal relations.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 21, 2024, 01:22:14 AMThe other demo I managed over the weekend of interest was Burden of Command.  Another squad leader influenced game, but as the name indicates, the emphasis is on leadership and command, rather than cruchy equipment tables.  Some RPG elements as the officers can gain or lose trust points with the men, or "prestige" (credibility) points with the higher ups.  The demo has a tutorial scenario where the designer does a lot of talking about the different design elements.

This is one I am interested in.

crazy canuck

I spent some time with Ara History Untold.  I like the game mechanics but it plays like they rushed it out of early access.  There are still some basic mechanics that didn't make it into the release, like being able to upgrade units, that they are promising in an upcoming patch.  There is also a lot of needless micromanagement caused by not including the necessary summary reports about what is happening in the various production chains.  Another thing the devs are promising to fix next patch.

One thing that they are not yet addressing is a way to influence how the random map is generated.  The only option if you get a type of random generation you don't want is to roll again.

This game will be worth a try after a lot of polishing.  But I can't recommend it now.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 21, 2024, 10:19:22 AMThis is one I am interested in.

FYI - a Steam Deck can play that game, but at present, it can't output to the screen because of scaling issues.  You'd have to run it through an external monitor.  But since the game can run on very modest specs, it can be run on any laptop made in the last decade.

Re city builders, there was an Egyptian one that looked pretty good and an intriguing Aztec themed one called Tlatoani.  I downloaded both but haven't gotten around to them yet.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson