And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1154840/Shadow_Empire/

Shadow Empire is pretty deeply-discounted on Steam now. :yeah:

I'll finally be diving in somewhat soon. Hopefully some of my multiplayer group are up for it.  :lol:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

I got Shadow Empire, but it wouldn't launch. Refunded.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on September 25, 2024, 04:21:38 AMDoes anyone know of a pc rpg (or games in general) that are set in sub-Saharan Africa? Aside from picking specific nations in CK/EU/Civ, I can't really think of any. Apparently there is one called Aurion, but it doesn't seem like my style as it looks very fighting heavy and platform-y.

https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/outliver-tribulations-679884

:p
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sophie Scholl

Looks interesting! ...but just from watching the trailer I already have a headache from motion sickness.  :weep:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Minsky Moment

From Steam Next Fest

Likely to Get at Some Point
Jotunnslayer: Hordes of Hel - Vampire Survivor knock-off with Norse theme.  This is becoming a crowded genre but the game looks nice and plays well, with some Diabloesque bells and whistles and some borrowing from Hades (individual god themed powers). Using Loki powers to sling vipers around sealed the deal for me, assuming price is reasonable.

The Precinct GTA in reverse where you play a uniformed cop in gritty deindustrialized city in 1983. Tutorial runs from bank shoot outs to car and helicopter chases to fining graffiti artists to ticketing cars that overstayed the meter. Don't forget to read the perps Miranda rights . . .

On the Fence
Bonaparte A Mechanized Revolution - On the eve of the French Revolution, you play Captain Bonaparte sent to quell rioting at the Bastille led by your brother Lucien. You command infantry, cavalry, skirmishers, and a giant mechanized colossus. Odd combination of simple tactical wargame, choose your own adventure, grand strategy map game, all with period characters and the steampunk twist.  Could be interesting if it all manages to gel together somehow.

TMNT: Splintered Fate Hades knock off using TMNT IP. Probably no for me - I like Hades but haven't come close to finishing 1 much less 2, and I have no nostalgic affinity for the turtles. But it looks decently made and thematic so could be a good choice for fans.

Knights in Tight Places Medieval theme deck builder played out on 4x4 tactical maps.

Keep Driving  FTL-type game but as college kid driving car on a summer road trip.

Meh
AI limit Souls-like game with some anime aesthetics. Seems very popular on steam but I'm not the target audience.

Not Sure What to Make of it Yet
Sultan's Game oddball card game with twisted Arbian Nights thematics. Need to put some more time into it to figure out the gameplay.

Maybe try to get to some more over the weekend.  Steam Deck makes it easy to DL and run, although not all demos are well optimized.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 18, 2024, 01:10:09 AMThe Precinct GTA in reverse where you play a uniformed cop in gritty deindustrialized city in 1983. Tutorial runs from bank shoot outs to car and helicopter chases to fining graffiti artists to ticketing cars that overstayed the meter. Don't forget to read the perps Miranda rights . . .
There's a demo out for this... I haven't tried it and it says 'unknown' re: Steam Deck compatibility.  Maybe I'll download it to my deck this weekend and give it a shot.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Caliga on October 18, 2024, 09:04:26 AMThere's a demo out for this... I haven't tried it and it says 'unknown' re: Steam Deck compatibility.  Maybe I'll download it to my deck this weekend and give it a shot.

Unknown just means it hasn't been vetted.  All the demos are marked unknown because they aren't releases. I've been able to run almost all of them. The biggest issue was with Permafrost, which loaded but frame rate was too low to be workable.  Precinct definitely worked on the Deck.  The FPS was lower than I would have expected but it played fine. I would expect the release version to a bit more optimized.

FYI - there are demos for all the games listed above - that's what I was trying.
--Joan Robinson

Solmyr

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 18, 2024, 01:10:09 AMThe Precinct GTA in reverse where you play a uniformed cop in gritty deindustrialized city in 1983. Tutorial runs from bank shoot outs to car and helicopter chases to fining graffiti artists to ticketing cars that overstayed the meter. Don't forget to read the perps Miranda rights . . .

Finally a sequel for Police Quest?

grumbler

Quote from: Solmyr on October 18, 2024, 02:57:24 PM

Sounds like finally a sequel to Hill Street Blues.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on October 18, 2024, 04:17:56 PMSounds like finally a sequel to Hill Street Blues.

Definite strong influence on the game, the precinct station has a similar look and feel.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

It does sound potentially cool. Looking at images the shootout is a bit worrying. Old school gta always sucked at that. But will have to give it a go.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

The demo defaulted to giving my laptop ultra high settings. Then the controls were so laggy it tried to give me motion sickness. And that was all after it had initially told me the experience was better with a controller
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: grumbler on October 18, 2024, 04:17:56 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on October 18, 2024, 02:57:24 PM

Sounds like finally a sequel to Hill Street Blues.
LETS BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!!

I got the demo for my Deck and played it yesterday.  It worked perfectly (other than being a little slow like JR said), and was pretty fun, so the full game went on my wishlist.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Minsky Moment

The other demo I managed over the weekend of interest was Burden of Command.  Another squad leader influenced game, but as the name indicates, the emphasis is on leadership and command, rather than cruchy equipment tables.  Some RPG elements as the officers can gain or lose trust points with the men, or "prestige" (credibility) points with the higher ups.  The demo has a tutorial scenario where the designer does a lot of talking about the different design elements.
--Joan Robinson