News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

Smells like bullshit psy-op. We can go on for decades, some more nuclear threats, Ukrainians are the big meanies for invading us when we invaded over 10 years ago.

Gimme a break. The only thing putin and russians understand is pushback. Keep hitting them, deeper and deeper.

Tamas

Yeah.

Sure the Russkies are crawling forward, but it's probably at immense cost considering how they are increasing the size of the army by nearly 200k (and that's the number they admit) and are increasing their military spending to levels it would make Soviet leaders blush.

I think the only way Putin would truly consider pressing the button is if he saw no chance of his own survival. As long as the West don't start talking things like unconditional surrender of him, we will be fine.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Zoupa on October 05, 2024, 11:09:33 PMSmells like bullshit psy-op. We can go on for decades, some more nuclear threats, Ukrainians are the big meanies for invading us when we invaded over 10 years ago.

Gimme a break. The only thing putin and russians understand is pushback. Keep hitting them, deeper and deeper.

yep, that is what it smell like.

The Brain

I think the West should hit back a lot more in the hacker war than it does. The Russians hit one of our systems? Hit ten of theirs. But I hear almost nothing about Western strikes on Russia. How many are there?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: The Brain on October 07, 2024, 05:48:25 AMI think the West should hit back a lot more in the hacker war than it does. The Russians hit one of our systems? Hit ten of theirs. But I hear almost nothing about Western strikes on Russia. How many are there?

One here in Belgium today. A number government sites unreachable

Sheilbh

There were the arson attacks on warehouses I think with material for Ukraine in the UK and Spain - I think those were linked to Russia.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Toni, how did you end up at the Moscow times website?

Zanza

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 07, 2024, 08:07:56 AMThere were the arson attacks on warehouses I think with material for Ukraine in the UK and Spain - I think those were linked to Russia.
A German company manufacturing SAMs had a suspicious fire recently.

Crazy_Ivan80

Second day of gov sites hacked.
But the joke I'd on them since we don't have gov yet... it's only 4 months in after all

The Brain

Today the head of the State Nuclear Regulatory Inspectorate of Ukraine (SNRIU) was in Stockholm and gave a presentation on nuclear safety during armed confict. Interesting to hear directly from the people handling this situation.

They are not super happy about IAEA still employing many Russians.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

No idea how true but apparently there are 100k deserters from the Ukrainian army. Worrying numbers.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Josquius on October 09, 2024, 11:14:03 AMNo idea how true but apparently there are 100k deserters from the Ukrainian army. Worrying numbers.

Not an uncommon problem in draft armies. Especially in a war on your own territory and one that seems to be endless.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

It looks like the 100k figure comes from some guy saying something on Reddit.  CNN reported about 19k a couple of months ago and noted that figure was understated because many commanders were giving the soldiers a chance to come back.  So it might be up to 100k, but what is missing then is the number of soldiers returning to their units after being given that second chance.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 09, 2024, 12:25:27 PMIt looks like the 100k figure comes from some guy saying something on Reddit.  CNN reported about 19k a couple of months ago and noted that figure was understated because many commanders were giving the soldiers a chance to come back.  So it might be up to 100k, but what is missing then is the number of soldiers returning to their units after being given that second chance.

It reminds me of the Confederate Army in the American Civil War and the Italian Army in World War I. Soldiers would just regularly desert and come back and both armies eventually just gave up trying to rigorously enforce AWOL. And it makes sense. If you are fighting near your hometown you will want to make sure your family is safe.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on October 09, 2024, 12:30:38 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 09, 2024, 12:25:27 PMIt looks like the 100k figure comes from some guy saying something on Reddit.  CNN reported about 19k a couple of months ago and noted that figure was understated because many commanders were giving the soldiers a chance to come back.  So it might be up to 100k, but what is missing then is the number of soldiers returning to their units after being given that second chance.

It reminds me of the Confederate Army in the American Civil War and the Italian Army in World War I. Soldiers would just regularly desert and come back and both armies eventually just gave up trying to rigorously enforce AWOL. And it makes sense. If you are fighting near your hometown you will want to make sure your family is safe.

Yeah, Ukraine needs to rely on love of home and hearth, not fear of punishment.