Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Tamas

In my neck of the woods the town cemetery is going to run out of free space next year so they want to expand it by cutting a slice out of a golf course next door, but there are 300 people protesting this outrage.

You can kinda' see why revolutions happen.  :glare:

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on September 28, 2024, 03:07:51 PMIn my neck of the woods the town cemetery is going to run out of free space next year so they want to expand it by cutting a slice out of a golf course next door, but there are 300 people protesting this outrage.

Maybe people should stop wasting land with their corpses?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on September 28, 2024, 04:40:50 PM
Quote from: Tamas on September 28, 2024, 03:07:51 PMIn my neck of the woods the town cemetery is going to run out of free space next year so they want to expand it by cutting a slice out of a golf course next door, but there are 300 people protesting this outrage.

You're going to put archeologists on the extinction list.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: viper37 on September 28, 2024, 07:29:31 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 28, 2024, 04:40:50 PM

You're going to put archeologists on the extinction list.

cremationgraves are okay too. Though that may piss of the green priesthood

garbon

I think we will have left behind enough material culture even without graves.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

If youre going to have a grave put some fucking effort into it.
None of these copy and paste texts about god and angels and how loved the cunt was.
Lets be merging traditions and have proper rune stones telling of the deads exploits
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Josquius on September 29, 2024, 06:18:28 AMLets be merging traditions and have proper rune stones telling of the deads exploits
He engaged battle against the Wokist forces of Evil but was ultimately defeated by overwhelming odds.

Here lies Elon, son of Errol.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tamas

We were discussing this before but it is fascinating how the Tories seem to think the answer to being wiped out due to their move to the far-right is to move further to the edge.

With the little attention I am paying to their leadership contest, I am seeing discussion on dropping the European human rights commission, and then another candidate talking about how maternity pay is unbearable for businesses and people should fend for themselves.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on September 30, 2024, 03:20:18 AMWe were discussing this before but it is fascinating how the Tories seem to think the answer to being wiped out due to their move to the far-right is to move further to the edge.

With the little attention I am paying to their leadership contest, I am seeing discussion on dropping the European human rights commission, and then another candidate talking about how maternity pay is unbearable for businesses and people should fend for themselves.

Seeing them as a mirror of Labour its like they're skipping over the "Lets make a genuine effort" stage with Miliband going straight to "Sigh, lets get this over with then" and picking Corbyn.
Theresa May recently showed herself to be the adult in the room in pointing out the Lib Dems were the Tories problem at the last election, not the fascists. But nobody wants to know.
Surely Kemi Whatsherface and the gang know they're just shooting for their time as Tory leader here and they're never going to be PM?- which to be fair having free reign to speak up in parliament for a few years, spouting far right bollocks, does provide for a profitable future career.

The maternity pay has gone too far thing was being shared around by my GF's not particularly political friends wtihin minutes :lol:
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

That tends to be the first response to defeat - retreat to the comfort zone. See the Tories after 97, or Labour 1979-92 and 2010-19. It's how quickly they move past that that matters.

Their conference auditions will matter, but at this point it feels like probably Jenrick v Tugendhat. Interesting how little Brexit is playing a role as that would be a final two of Remain supporters, which would have seemed very unlikely a short while ago.

Also striking that Tugendhat was the centrist/Rory Stewart candidate last time and is now pitching to the right (obvs) and I think quite NIMBY. Jenrick's been positioning himself on the right of the party for several years now but is going very hard on YIMBYism and calling for more liberalisation of planning than Labour.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Let the dead bury their dead. /Jesus
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Given the usual demographics of golf club members, you'd think they would appreciate the convenience of next stop shopping.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Sheilbh

Maybe we're just fucked :weep:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/oct/01/treasury-asking-ministers-to-draw-up-billions-of-pounds-of-infrastructure-cuts

Again (unironically), abolish the Treasury.

Literally goes against what the government's been saying/political message and is likely to cause longer term damage or higher costs far out of proportion to any short term savings. But the Treasury.

I mean wait and see I suppose. This is clearly coming from other ministers who I suspect are trying to warn off Reeves. That might work.

Oh in other news it looks like the £1.5 billion meant to be saved by taking money away from 10 million pensioners may actually be well under half that - given administrative costs and a flood of elderly people making sure to apply for all benefits they could be eligible for. In the scheme of the budget, it's a rounding error - but here we are.

Edit: I'd add business confidence down over 25 points last month. On the fundamentals inflation is back at 2%, further rate cuts are expected and the UK had comparatively very strong growth in the first half (I think 1.3%). Main issue the survey identified: concern about investment and taxes given government's doom and gloom/"hard decisions" messaging. As I say I think "talking the country down" is not a real thing in politics - except for the Chancellor who literally can do that.

Not even sure there's been much political upside and I suspect you'd get more with a more positive message about how Labour's plan is already inspiring confidence.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

The past few years under the tories were what things look like when they're actually doing a good job of papering over the increasingly gaping chasms they inflicted?

They better keep investment in transport and other wealth creating infrastructure at least.

And what's going on with the promised planning reform. That costs "nothing" (yeah yeah lawyers)
██████
██████
██████