News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 23, 2024, 04:45:52 PMAlright, closer to a Camry then.

There are no Avensis in NA.

I love it but it kind of feels bad to shuffle the family around in a 18 years old vehicle,even though it has been very very reliable

Grey Fox

How can you not be bored of it?

Never had a car for more then 8 years.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 23, 2024, 05:50:22 PMHow can you not be bored of it?

Never had a car for more then 8 years.

I have had it for 8, actually. It's big it's reliable and its 2 litre originally 146 horse power petrol engine can be still quite fun.

With current used car prices and our savings decimated by house purchase closely followed by the birth of my heir, I could only make a substantial jump in quality if I bought a car on loan or lease. And with used cars I am not to keen to gamble on that.

But also this car is one serious issue away from being replaced because also I am not going to spend any serious money on it anymore.

Grey Fox

You mean, you would pay cash for a car?

Josquius

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 23, 2024, 07:43:49 PMYou mean, you would pay cash for a car?

Why wouldn't you?
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 23, 2024, 07:43:49 PMYou mean, you would pay cash for a car?

Why not? Loans have interest ergo you are losing money compared to paying cash. Now, if the Avensis dies all of a sudden  tomorrow, we'll likely buy a decent 4-6 years old car on loan rather than a semi-decent 10 years old for cash.

But getting saddled with car finance is lame.

Grey Fox

Brits lies when they say they are poor.

Tamas

Quote from: Grey Fox on Today at 05:09:59 AMBrits lies when they say they are poor.

I can afford lower middle class amenities (such as a nursery for the kid while increasing savings) OR a younger than 10 years old car. Not both.

Sheilbh

I always thought you got car loans - but that might just be my family :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tamas on Today at 05:11:38 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on Today at 05:09:59 AMBrits lies when they say they are poor.

I can afford lower middle class amenities (such as a nursery for the kid while increasing savings) OR a younger than 10 years old car. Not both.

So can I, that's why my cars are on loans.

Josquius

When I bought my car the salesman was visibly annoyed I was going to just buy the car and had no interest in loans.
It's clear who is winning there.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on Today at 05:25:14 AMWhen I bought my car the salesman was visibly annoyed I was going to just buy the car and had no interest in loans.
It's clear who is winning there.

Yeah, it's crazy how common it is.

Again, we might end up with one, but buying anything on loan is to be avoided if possible. Why tie down yourself with several years of significant outgoings if you don't have to?

I remember an American Youtube guy who claimed he worked as a car salesmen and he said the real profit for dealerships is in the financing deals, margin on other stuff is minimal.

grumbler

Whether to pay cash for a vehicle depends on the other uses for the money.  If you are just taking money out of savings, or from an account that earns less in interest than the loan costs in interest, then pay cash.  Ig you are talking the money out of a 10%-interest-yielding money market account to avoid a 7%-interest load, say, then paying cash is not wise.  Some people might do it just to avoid being in debt, but it isn't wise.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on Today at 05:11:56 AMI always thought you got car loans - but that might just be my family :ph34r:

Google suggests around 90% of new car purchases are financed in UK
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: grumbler on Today at 05:33:07 AMWhether to pay cash for a vehicle depends on the other uses for the money.  If you are just taking money out of savings, or from an account that earns less in interest than the loan costs in interest, then pay cash.  Ig you are talking the money out of a 10%-interest-yielding money market account to avoid a 7%-interest load, say, then paying cash is not wise.  Some people might do it just to avoid being in debt, but it isn't wise.

I suspect many people in the UK simply do not have the cash to cash-purchase the car they are driving.