News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I don't know Mediamatters.  But I do know The Atlantic, and that's good enough for me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on September 17, 2024, 04:45:42 PMThe Editor-in-Chief of said National Review, Rich Lowry, had quite the little slip up in language on The Megyn Kelly Show while talking about the Hatian migrants.

https://www.npr.org/2024/09/17/g-s1-23411/rich-lowry-national-review-haitian-migrants-racial-slur
:pinch:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on September 17, 2024, 04:45:42 PMThe Editor-in-Chief of said National Review, Rich Lowry, had quite the little slip up in language on The Megyn Kelly Show while talking about the Hatian migrants.

https://www.npr.org/2024/09/17/g-s1-23411/rich-lowry-national-review-haitian-migrants-racial-slur

He forgot to use the code word. It was only a matter of time I guess.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on September 17, 2024, 03:57:24 PMSo the problem with Roe v Wade is not that it struck the wrong balance.  I mean you can quibble, but the justices were trying to strike a reasonable compromise.

The problem with Roe v Wade is that they read in a right to abortion into a constitution that clearly had never contemplated such a thing, which had the effect of politicizing the court for the next 50 years (and is still ongoing).

The reason why a right to privacy was not explicitly written into the Constitution was that everyone involved understood that that (like, say, an also-unenumerated right to self defense) it was so basic that it didn't need to be enumerated.

And the politicization of the court started long before RvW.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

You know I feel like I need to take another break from Languish.

I post a link to what I think is a really well written article )incidentally one highly critical of Trump).  An article I think nobody on Languish would actually disagree with.  But because I know what pinheads certain people are around here, I even comment on who the author is, just trying to forestall criticism.

And now two pages of people shitting on the author (and me for posting it), and not a single post commenting on the substance of the article itself.

I talked before about Languish being a "elbows up" free speech zone.  I don't think anyone here should be banned for shitting on me.  I just question why I stay here to be shat upon.  You guys do you.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on September 17, 2024, 09:30:19 PMYou know I feel like I need to take another break from Languish.

I post a link to what I think is a really well written article )incidentally one highly critical of Trump).  An article I think nobody on Languish would actually disagree with.  But because I know what pinheads certain people are around here, I even comment on who the author is, just trying to forestall criticism.

And now two pages of people shitting on the author (and me for posting it), and not a single post commenting on the substance of the article itself.

I talked before about Languish being a "elbows up" free speech zone.  I don't think anyone here should be banned for shitting on me.  I just question why I stay here to be shat upon.  You guys do you.

Wow ok. I think you made a mistake by not only commenting on it but highlighting the issue thus drawing everybody to it. I didn't even know why we were discussing abortion and just kind of joined in.

Yeah I hate it when you come in with a discussion you want to have and then it deviates off into some other realm.

As for the article: I didn't want to shit too much on the idiots who started this rumor, the marginally employed white people on the dole referenced in the article, but rather the irresponsible politicians who attempt to empower their idiocy for political gain. And now we have Syt's relatives spreading it. This is on Donald Trump, without him this blood libel wasn't going anywhere.

Anyway I always miss you when you are not around. Hope you come back and see us soon.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

I'm more than happy to shit on the idiots who started this rumor.  People have a right to be ignorant but they don't have a right to be ignorant *and* angry.

Beeb, I think you're overreacting.  Grabon chose to dispute your characterization of pro life as within the pale.  You put that argument out there, that The Atlantic demonstrated their close mindedness by firing him.

Then Sophie demonstrated he's not just pro life, he's mega pro life.  So your characterization of the firing wasn't really accurate to begin with.

On the original goose story, I've seen different narratives about civic minded Haitians picking up road kill to keep streets clean and grabbing geese out of a lake to eat.  Both true?  Anyone know?

Do people hunt and eat geese?  Are they protected?

Valmy

I was told the goose story came from a picture of a black city employee clearing road kill out of the road in Columbus, Ohio and had nothing really to do with Haitians or Springfield.

But rumors are flying around now.

Admiral Yi

"Not without a signed federal waterfowl stamp and a state hunting license. Geese are migratory and the US and Canada have a treaty protecting geese from over hunting. "  From Quora.com.

Tamas

Pet-eating and geese-killing dominate the US election discourse.

Bravo.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on September 18, 2024, 12:04:53 AMPet-eating and geese-killing dominate the US election discourse.

Bravo.

The lunatics are firmly in charge of the asylum.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Barrister on September 17, 2024, 09:30:19 PMYou know I feel like I need to take another break from Languish.

I mean, you pointed out the author... and then slid in a little op-ed of your own on him and seemingly how you think he was wronged for having the audacity to be pro-birth. I think if you'd just posted the article with your initial comments or posted about the author as being a non-Trump person on the Right, it wouldn't have caused any stir at all and the focus would have been solely on the article. You seem to have brought all of the issues down with your choice of additions to the meat of your post. You wanted to avoid "pinheads" derailing it, so you laid all the groundwork and put in a big blinking DERAIL THIS sign yourself and are now angry about it? That's... certainly a choice.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Tamas

Sorry BB but adding "BTW this guy was fired from a leftie paper for having a conservative view on one of the divisive topics of the day but I don't think he should have been" to your post just begs for a derail. That he was fired from what I think is a very Right-ish paper and not a leftie one just made it worse.  ;)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on September 18, 2024, 12:54:41 AMSorry BB but adding "BTW this guy was fired from a leftie paper for having a conservative view on one of the divisive topics of the day but I don't think he should have been" to your post just begs for a derail. That he was fired from what I think is a very Right-ish paper and not a leftie one just made it worse.  ;)

Have you read The Atlantic?  :wacko:

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Tamas on September 18, 2024, 12:54:41 AMSorry BB but adding "BTW this guy was fired from a leftie paper for having a conservative view on one of the divisive topics of the day but I don't think he should have been" to your post just begs for a derail. That he was fired from what I think is a very Right-ish paper and not a leftie one just made it worse.  ;)
The author of the article, Kevin D. Williamson, was let go from The Atlantic, which is Left-leaning. He originally worked for National Review which is Right-leaning to Rightwing. He now works for The Dispatch which is Right-leaning.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."