News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Long-read from Springfield, Ohio:

https://thedispatch.com/newsletter/wanderland/exotic-cat-eaters-springfield-ohio/

I think the money quote is:

QuoteThe case against the Haitians isn't that they are welfare malingers or cat-eaters—or even that they are illegal immigrants who came here thanks to Joe Biden's lax border enforcement, which most of them aren't. The real issue is that by working overtime and investing in the community, they have made life more challenging for a reliable Trump-voting constituency: marginally employed white people on the dole.

Just so you know the source - The Dispatch was formed by former National Review writers but Trump skeptics (though not to the point they would endorse Harris).  The writer Kevin Williamson is another former National Review writer.  He was perhaps most famous for being hired, then within days fired, by the NYT once they discovered he was actually pro-life :o
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 17, 2024, 11:26:16 AMForced-Birth.

So the point is the NY Times wanted to get more diversity of opinion in it's opinion writers so hired Williamson, then quickly turned around and fired him within days after a Twitter controversy showed he actually had a different opinion.

He's a good writer even if I don't agree with everything he writes - just read the article.

Edit: it's a very pro-immigrant piece, but I like that he doesn't quite shy away from the problems a lot of Haitian migrants coming to Springfield brings.  Chief amongst them?  Apparently Haitians are, in general, terrible drivers.  Really - he comes to this point a few times, including from Haitians themselves.

Probably obvious to say but the eating of cats is NOT one of those problems.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on September 17, 2024, 11:35:06 AM

So the point is the NY Times wanted to get more diversity of opinion in it's opinion writers so hired Williamson, then quickly turned around and fired him within days after a Twitter controversy showed he actually had a different opinion.

He's a good writer even if I don't agree with everything he writes - just read the article.

Edit: it's a very pro-immigrant piece, but I like that he doesn't quite shy away from the problems a lot of Haitian migrants coming to Springfield brings.  Chief amongst them?  Apparently Haitians are, in general, terrible drivers.  Really - he comes to this point a few times, including from Haitians themselves.

If they had wanted diversity of opinion and then fired someone when they found out he wad racist would that be worthy of derision?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on September 17, 2024, 12:05:07 PM

If they had wanted diversity of opinion and then fired someone when they found out he wad racist would that be worthy of derision?

That depends if you equate being pro-life with being racist.

I don't.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on September 17, 2024, 12:09:44 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 17, 2024, 12:05:07 PM

That depends if you equate being pro-life with being racist.

I don't.

My point was that you can want diversity of opinion and still see some opinions as beyond the pale.

For the US, I think 'forced birth' is probably a more accurate description than 'pro-life' given that most holding that view in the US are also in favour of cutting programmes that would keep those children out of poverty. Apart from concerns that Dems want to murder babies as soon as they are born, they don't seem to care much about those 'lives' after the birth event.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on September 17, 2024, 12:13:52 PMMy point was that you can want diversity of opinion and still see some opinions as beyond the pale.

For the US, I think 'forced birth' is probably a more accurate description than 'pro-life' given that most holding that view in the US are also in favour of cutting programmes that would keep those children out of poverty. Apart from concerns that Dems want to murder babies as soon as they are born, they don't seem to care much about those 'lives' after the birth event.

Your point was extremely obvious and I certainly got it.

I had thought my response was equally obvious.

Some opinions can and should be "beyond the pale".  Racism is probably one of them - I don't want to see opinion pieces about how blacks are genetically inferior to whites in the New York Times.

Such "beyond the pale" positions should be quite narrowly construed, and I don't think abortion is one of them.  Reasonable people can have differences of opinion on abortion.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on September 17, 2024, 12:20:59 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 17, 2024, 12:13:52 PMMy point was that you can want diversity of opinion and still see some opinions as beyond the pale.

Your point was extremely obvious and I certainly got it.

I had thought my response was equally obvious.

Some opinions can and should be "beyond the pale".  Racism is probably one of them - I don't want to see opinion pieces about how blacks are genetically inferior to whites in the New York Times.

Such "beyond the pale" positions should be quite narrowly construed, and I don't think abortion is one of them.  Reasonable people can have differences of opinion on abortion.

And their opinion was different from yours.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on September 17, 2024, 12:24:40 PMAnd their opinion was different from yours.

I'm confident that Kevin Williamson's position on abortion is different than mine.

Remember I subscribe to the Clintonian "safe, legal and rare" formulation on the topic.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on September 17, 2024, 12:27:40 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 17, 2024, 12:24:40 PMAnd their opinion was different from yours.

Remember I subscribe to the Clintonian "safe, legal and rare" formulation on the topic.
But what is rare?

Quebec has 20 000 - 25 000 abortions per year.  Ontario 30 000 - 45 000.  For Canada, it's roughly 100 000 per year.  Is that rare?  We are now 40 000 000 people living here.
https://www.arcc-cdac.ca/media/2020/07/statistics-abortion-in-canada.pdf

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

You create the rareness with a robust birth control and sex education program. Though I know a lot of work needs to be done there. Ideally, though not entirely practically possible, nobody should ever have an unwanted pregnancy.

I presume it is better for ones physical and mental health to just not have abortions because they are not necessary yes? But I admit I haven't really looked into those issues.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

You might as well say basically any form of surgery should be safe, legal and rare though.
It'd be great if nobody got hit by trucks, fell off ladders, cut their hand with a saw, etc...
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Josquius on September 17, 2024, 02:21:22 PMYou might as well say basically any form of surgery should be safe, legal and rare though.
It'd be great if nobody got hit by trucks, fell off ladders, cut their hand with a saw, etc...

Yes...and?

Of course there is not a powerful political force out there trying to prevent people from getting surgery to repair ones hand. Not yet anyway, who would have thought there would be a powerful political force out there trying to get whooping cough and measles out there again?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on September 17, 2024, 12:20:59 PMSuch "beyond the pale" positions should be quite narrowly construed, and I don't think abortion is one of them.  Reasonable people can have differences of opinion on abortion.

I thought similarly.

But the horror show that has unfolded in the US since Roe was overturned is narrowing the scope of reasonable opinion on the issue as I see it. The theory that it is possible to have a pro-life policy with strong supports in place and respect and compassion for women simply does not reflect any remotely achievable reality, at least not in America.  And that means continuing to embrace a pro life policy entails very ugly consequences.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on September 17, 2024, 02:09:32 PMYou create the rareness with a robust birth control and sex education program. Though I know a lot of work needs to be done there. Ideally, though not entirely practically possible, nobody should ever have an unwanted pregnancy.

I agree.
Quebec has much less abortion than Ontario, almost half has less for the later years, but we have more than half the population.  Sex ed has been a part of education program for a long while.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.