News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baldur's Gate 3 announced

Started by Syt, June 06, 2019, 12:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

:lol: My next game will definitely be Seldarine Drow for that reason exactly.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Oexmelin

Yes, the Dead Three are a bit of stupid plot devices.

The hodgepodge lore from the Forgotten Realms isn't always conducive to the sort of nuanced storytelling authors seem to want to tell. The pantheon is obviously the 20th century monotheist's interpretation of polytheism; D&D can't seem to decide whether it wants to embrace real world references and analogues, whether it wants to stick to the roots of the fantasy genre, or whether it wants to turn to pulp fiction and superhero comics... 

I still think the best version of it was Planescape Torment.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Oexmelin

In other news, I found some poutine in the game.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Habbaku on September 17, 2024, 12:13:39 PM:lol: My next game will definitely be Seldarine Drow for that reason exactly.
My last character I started was a Seldarine Drow Paladin and I just waltzed into the Orc camp and got to explore it to my heart's content. Everyone bows and scrapes before my character just for being a Drow and only look at me slightly strange when I do nice things. It's amusing. I presume they figure it is all some 5d chess shenanigans and it is for an ultimately evil goal.  :lol:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Valmy

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on September 17, 2024, 04:07:13 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on September 17, 2024, 12:13:39 PM:lol: My next game will definitely be Seldarine Drow for that reason exactly.
My last character I started was a Seldarine Drow Paladin and I just waltzed into the Orc camp and got to explore it to my heart's content. Everyone bows and scrapes before my character just for being a Drow and only look at me slightly strange when I do nice things. It's amusing. I presume they figure it is all some 5d chess shenanigans and it is for an ultimately evil goal.  :lol:

There are no Orcs in BG3  :nerd:

Those are Goblins.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Valmy on September 17, 2024, 07:49:11 PMThere are no Orcs in BG3  :nerd:

Those are Goblins.

Ha! Right. I've been playing a lot of WoW lately, reading Pathfinder lore, and reading a book with orcs as main characters. Zug zug.  :blush:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

Quote from: Habbaku on September 17, 2024, 11:53:34 AMI simply cannot bring myself to do a Durge playthrough. It just seems so bleak.

There was a line of banter from Shadowheart during my playthrough that encapsulated my thoughts: "Why must the Dead Three be so obvious and ugly with their decor? Blood and bones. Bones and blood. Pointy nonsense. At least Shar had some panache."

Yeah. :D I will restart my horny cowardly bard character at some point (what with the problems mentioned above), or maybe a really dumb impulsive barbarian (though I assume there's no easter eggs for stupid characters?), but for now taking a pause. :) (It also frees up a lot of disk space - my games SSD only has 1 TB :D )
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on September 18, 2024, 12:41:38 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 17, 2024, 07:49:11 PMThere are no Orcs in BG3  :nerd:

Those are Goblins.

Ha! Right. I've been playing a lot of WoW lately, reading Pathfinder lore, and reading a book with orcs as main characters. Zug zug.  :blush:

The original BG game intentionally left out orcs and goblins originally as an attempt to use the more obscure FR creatures as opposed to more generic D&D ones. So out were Orcs and Goblins and in were Xvarts and Gibberlings. Goblins were eventually introduced in BG2 though.

But you can play the whole zillion hours of BG1, BG2, and BG3 and not encounter one singular orc. It is kind of a tradition at this point. Though there are half-orcs.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."