News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 16, 2024, 02:50:26 AMI've been wondering about that too. Does open carry suddenly become illegal if an ex-president suddenly turns up within half a mile?

If his intent was to commit a crime, then yes.  Any tangible step - criminal or not - taken to complete the crime would then be sufficient to establish the crime of attempt.  That's state law, there also may be some federal stuff about threats to the President (including former presidents or candidates), for which state carry laws would be irrelevant. Not a lot of experience in that area, the Presidential assassination bar is still pretty small, thank God.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

What I mean is, what if he says he was just camping? What's the proof beside being a lunatic, that he was out to kill Trump?

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on September 16, 2024, 04:15:09 PMWhat I mean is, what if he says he was just camping? What's the proof beside being a lunatic, that he was out to kill Trump?

As in so many things - the grounds for arrest aren't necessarily the same as grounds for a conviction.

We'll see what comes out.  But certainly doesn't sound the like the secret service should have just let this guy continue to crouch in the bushes with his AR-15.

Edit:  Not an AR-15.  He was using an SKS, which was a AK-47 precursor.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on September 16, 2024, 04:27:17 PM
Quote from: Tamas on September 16, 2024, 04:15:09 PMWhat I mean is, what if he says he was just camping? What's the proof beside being a lunatic, that he was out to kill Trump?

As in so many things - the grounds for arrest aren't necessarily the same as grounds for a conviction.

We'll see what comes out.  But certainly doesn't sound the like the secret service should have just let this guy continue to crouch in the bushes with his AR-15.

This is true.
But.
America.
Surely if you don't want crazy guys hanging around with assault rifles then you have laws against that.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Well agree but Florida law is very pro people just walking around in public heavily armed.

Not that I am passing too much judgement, living over here in Texas.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Josquius on September 16, 2024, 06:07:21 PM

This is true.
But.
America.
Surely if you don't want crazy guys hanging around with assault rifles then you have laws against that.

See it's the Democrats who think obviously insane and violent people shouldn't have guns. We are trying to save your life Donnie!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tamas on September 16, 2024, 04:15:09 PMWhat I mean is, what if he says he was just camping?

He's certainly free to try out that defense.  I wouldn't put any big bets on an acquittal.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Reposting here as it seems relevant, what with Musk tapped for Trump's next administration.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

PJL

Richard Hakluyt

The BBC says that the US secret service is "aware" of the tweet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c74882jq39vo

"After deleting the post, Mr Musk tweeted that "one lesson I've learned is that just because I say something to a group and they laugh doesn't mean it's going to be all that hilarious as a post on X."

"Turns out that jokes are way less funny if people don't know the context and the delivery is in plain text," a subsequent post read."

Aye, who knew  :lol:  ??

Valmy

DGuller

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 17, 2024, 08:04:10 AMThe BBC says that the US secret service is "aware" of the tweet.
That's reassuring.

Syt

Yeah, there were people tagging FBI, CIA, NSA in retweets pointing out that this is from a U.S. government contractor. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Hanging out with the people Musk hangs out with must be horrible. Better than hanging out with Musk, but horrible.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on September 17, 2024, 10:02:57 AMHanging out with the people Musk hangs out with must be horrible. Better than hanging out with Musk, but horrible.
Maybe he hangs with his employees.  If I worked for him, I'd laugh at anything he says as well.  Well, I'll laugh at anything he intends to be a joke.  But how would I know?  :hmm:  Hmm, maybe it's not as simple as I thought...