News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

I've already seen clips of Russians building filtration systems, badly, to get some water.

Can't wait for large scale dysentery breaking out and wrecking Russian units. Sooner the better

crazy canuck

NYTimes is reporting that the Russians are pulling units out of the front in Ukraine to defend in Russia.

Zoupa

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 14, 2024, 09:55:09 AMNYTimes is reporting that the Russians are pulling units out of the front in Ukraine to defend in Russia.

Josquius

I'm not sure the analogy works. This wasn't highly publicised at all. Or is this the second offensive? So what was the first?
Certainly seems to be some trickery though.
 Big fingers crossed. Seems a really dodgy situation for Ukraine where once false move could be dire.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

With those supposedly massive manpower reserves, Russia sure seems to be having some German 1945 age distributions in Kursk:

DGuller

The conscripts by definition have a very narrow age range during peace time.  As far as conscription is concerned, Russia is still at peacetime.

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on August 15, 2024, 07:14:53 AMThe conscripts by definition have a very narrow age range during peace time.  As far as conscription is concerned, Russia is still at peacetime.

Still I don't think parents are aware that their kids receiving basic training are used to shore up the defenses of border regions.

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on August 15, 2024, 07:20:14 AM
Quote from: DGuller on August 15, 2024, 07:14:53 AMThe conscripts by definition have a very narrow age range during peace time.  As far as conscription is concerned, Russia is still at peacetime.

Still I don't think parents are aware that their kids receiving basic training are used to shore up the defenses of border regions.
Who gives a shit what parents are aware of, this is government business.  If parents didn't want this, they should have worked harder so that they could afford to have their sons be medically ineligible for service.

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on August 15, 2024, 07:25:51 AM

Who gives a shit what parents are aware of, this is government business.  If parents didn't want this, they should have worked harder so that they could afford to have their sons be medically ineligible for service.

It can matter politically, if Ukraine can keep sharing material about the teenage POWs they have. The illusion that the war is some thing happening outside of Russian people's daily lives must be shattered and this, along with the offensive as a whole, can be good for that.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

I think the point is that Russia didn't expect Ukraine to attack. They thought having these conscript kids sitting in Kursk was fine and it would free up the volunteer soldiers to be fed into the mincer.

I've heard this is a key part of Ukraine's aims or at least a big positive side effect for them of this offensive. They aren't just blowing up poor sods from Siberia, its kids from Moscow and the other cities that the Russian regime has to actually care about.

Must be noted though...aren't there Geneva convention issues with sharing these photos clearly showing their faces?
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

All is fine in the Hunger Games until the kids from District 1 start dying.

grumbler

Quote from: Josquius on August 15, 2024, 08:14:23 AMMust be noted though...aren't there Geneva convention issues with sharing these photos clearly showing their faces?
Yes, if it is the Ukrainian government doing it, as opposed to some Ukrainian soldier posting on social media.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

At 40 seconds there's a map of Ukrainian occupied Russian territory.

Tamas

Interesting analysis by random Russian-born philosopher guy on Youtube:
https://youtu.be/2jFuV1UxaCE?si=MQx2KW_zrHWf3Hzl