News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zoupa on August 08, 2024, 11:30:57 PMsupporting a brigade in particular over the past 2 years.

By any chance is it the 47th Independent Mechanized?  They seem to have the best PR operation.

Solmyr

Quote from: Syt on August 08, 2024, 11:27:35 AMDidn't go so well last time, though. :ph34r:

In our Downfall boardgame I just defeated the Soviet attack on Kursk using my German armor. :ph34r:

jimmy olsen

Division strength?
https://x.com/RALee85/status/1820857236387704932?
QuoteThe Russian MoD and several Russian telegram channels say that Ukraine has conducted an advance into Kursk oblast today, including with elements from Ukraine's 22nd Mechanized Brigade and possibly Strykers from the 82nd Air Assault Brigade.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Legbiter

Quote from: Iormlund on August 08, 2024, 11:48:15 PMYou don't escalate when things are going well.

That being said, perhaps that is one of the strategic objectives: showing the Western powers that Russia can be hit and nothing will happen.

Good point.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

frunk

Another possibility is that these units are poorly suited to the combat situation along the current front line.  That leaves the choices of having them sit idle, throwing them into a front where they'll get chewed up for little result, or opening up a front where they can be used effectively.

Norgy

So, Kursk. Again.

According to reports, Mykhailo Podolya, a Zelensky advisor says "the aggressor will inevitably reap what he sows".
Guess the Ukrainians are going all in now.

Their summer offensive has left a lot to be desired, but Russia does not exactly excel on the battlefields either.

I have a few issues with the Ukrainian Azov brigade, but less issues than with the Russians.

Legbiter

Putin is promising 90 quid to Kursk residents dislocated by the war.

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Norgy

I keep wondering after seeing recent footage of Putin if that man is not dying of something or the other.
But, I suppose "Special military operations" can take its toll on anyone.

DGuller

Quote from: Norgy on August 09, 2024, 08:26:15 AMI keep wondering after seeing recent footage of Putin if that man is not dying of something or the other.
But, I suppose "Special military operations" can take its toll on anyone.
He is dying quickly of three different terminal illnesses, that was already established 2.5 years ago.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zoupa

Quote from: frunk on August 09, 2024, 07:08:11 AMAnother possibility is that these units are poorly suited to the combat situation along the current front line.  That leaves the choices of having them sit idle, throwing them into a front where they'll get chewed up for little result, or opening up a front where they can be used effectively.

That's a good point. I hope that's what's going on.

Zoupa

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 09, 2024, 01:45:20 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on August 08, 2024, 11:30:57 PMsupporting a brigade in particular over the past 2 years.

By any chance is it the 47th Independent Mechanized?  They seem to have the best PR operation.

No, it's the 10th Mountain. But I agree that after the 3rd Brigade (former Azov), the 47th has the best PR. They're also called the firefighter brigade, as they seem to always be sent to the spots on the front that are in difficulty.

Josquius

Ukraine are building fortifications I read on the BBC.

I have no idea what the terrain is like there but fingers crossed they've decided rather than sitting on the hard to defend border or ceding miles of Ukrainian land to fall back to better defences, as in Kharkiv; they've spotted a good place to build a line in Russia.

I suppose I can see a logic in this.
Russia has little choice but to prioritise attacking this area - they lose their advantage of numbers in being forced to attack a particular area.
Also very helpful for Ukraine, let's them put their best where the action definitely is.
And blowing up Russian towns beats blowing up Ukrainian towns.
The name of the game for a while to Ukraine has been slowly retreating and hoping to hurt Russia disproportionately as they go.
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

Quote from: Habbaku on August 09, 2024, 10:27:39 AM
Quote from: Josquius on August 09, 2024, 10:20:27 AMIsrael are building fortifications I read on the BBC.

:hmm:

:lol:
I'm tired.
Not even the right side to analogise there.
██████
██████
██████