What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Iormlund on July 01, 2024, 12:17:56 PM
Quote from: Josquius on July 01, 2024, 12:02:49 PMAmnesty international are pretty renowned enough to be experts in their own right.

They are also pretty renowned for sucking Putin's dick and their love of terrorists.

Wut?
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Quote from: Josquius on July 01, 2024, 04:56:40 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on July 01, 2024, 12:17:56 PM
Quote from: Josquius on July 01, 2024, 12:02:49 PMAmnesty international are pretty renowned enough to be experts in their own right.

They are also pretty renowned for sucking Putin's dick and their love of terrorists.

Wut?

They were critising Ukraine earlier in the war. Their guy in Ukraine quit in protest over it.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on July 01, 2024, 01:25:09 PMOh so Presidential immunity is not in the Federalist Papers? James Madison didn't answer anti-Federalist concerns that the President was going to be like a King by saying "basically, isn't that great?"
Sovereign immunity in one party, concerns about the King's two bodies in the other - just with consequential power.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Zanza on July 01, 2024, 04:25:01 PMIs only the President immune or also the people that follow his orders?

It's an excellent question. As written, it would appear only the President, because the majority makes much of the fact that the full authority of Article II is vested personally in the President (yes - they are sneaking the "unitary executive" theory through the back door here).  But the rationale of the decision is the need to "safeguard the independence and effective functioning of the Executive Branch."  Since many Presidential duties require subordinates to carry them out, that rationale necessarily implies that immunity also extends to Executive Branch officials acting directly under Presidential order.  They Court may have intended the former but the decision implies the latter. Either it is one of many things that the Court didn't think through carefully before dropping their "rule for the ages" or the Court is just waiting for the immediate outrage to pass before allowing the rain of other shoes to drop.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Iormlund

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Oexmelin on July 01, 2024, 05:38:50 PMThe 1930s are so easy to teach now.

Everyone needs to break out their Carl Schmitt.  This is America's Weimar moment.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

I have this weird feeling this ruling will be a big deal to future historians.  Like Dredd Scott.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 01, 2024, 05:59:36 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on July 01, 2024, 05:38:50 PMThe 1930s are so easy to teach now.

Everyone needs to break out their Carl Schmitt.  This is America's Weimar moment.
Carl Schmitt already enjoying a huge amount of interest in China. Not great for the world that the  two biggest powers are reading him.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

It'll certainly streamline civics class, what with eliminating two of the three branches of government.

Oexmelin

There is nothing in civics that can't be covered by putting up posters of the Ten Commandments.

I already have friends who are dealing with that BS in Louisiana. Others who are seeing their emails perused by political hacks to figure out if they are teaching forbidden knowledge in Florida - and yet another one who fled just in time the closing down of humanities in Mississippi.

As for myself, I am sorry to say I GTFO.
Que le grand cric me croque !

CountDeMoney

Tonitrus

Quote from: Jacob on July 01, 2024, 01:04:20 PMIf Biden loses he should carry out a coup, then. First order if business should be to arrest perfidious Supreme Court justices.

Better (or more mild?) might be to just revoke nullify the of power judicial review from the USSC...or invoke zombie Andrew Jackson and just ignore them/prosecute anyway.

frunk

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 01, 2024, 07:16:51 PM
Quote from: Jacob on July 01, 2024, 01:04:20 PMIf Biden loses he should carry out a coup, then. First order if business should be to arrest perfidious Supreme Court justices.

Better (or more mild?) might be to just revoke nullify the of power judicial review from the USSC...or invoke zombie Andrew Jackson and just ignore them/prosecute anyway.

Even more mild would be to get an amendment passed overriding this nonsense, threatening anyone who votes against it.

grumbler

Quote from: frunk on July 01, 2024, 07:56:12 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on July 01, 2024, 07:16:51 PM

Even more mild would be to get an amendment passed overriding this nonsense, threatening anyone who votes against it.

You could get such an amendment proposed by those means, but you couldn't get it ratified.  Governors have their own armies.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!