What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: grumbler on July 01, 2024, 08:25:42 PM
Quote from: frunk on July 01, 2024, 07:56:12 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on July 01, 2024, 07:16:51 PM
Quote from: Jacob on July 01, 2024, 01:04:20 PMIf Biden loses he should carry out a coup, then. First order if business should be to arrest perfidious Supreme Court justices.

Better (or more mild?) might be to just revoke nullify the of power judicial review from the USSC...or invoke zombie Andrew Jackson and just ignore them/prosecute anyway.

Even more mild would be to get an amendment passed overriding this nonsense, threatening anyone who votes against it.

You could get such an amendment proposed by those means, but you couldn't get it ratified.  Governors have their own armies.

Lock up the governors and don't release them until they ratify :contract:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on July 01, 2024, 08:29:38 PMLock up the governors and don't release them until they ratify :contract:

The governors just refuse to be locked up, and mobilize their National Guard to defend that refusal. :contract:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HVC

Quote from: grumbler on July 01, 2024, 08:32:04 PM
Quote from: HVC on July 01, 2024, 08:29:38 PMLock up the governors and don't release them until they ratify :contract:

The governors just refuse to be locked up, and mobilize their National Guard to defend that refusal. :contract:

Do it sneaky like. I don't know enough about how governors work. Do they assemble somewhere? If not hold a party. Either way get them all together and send in the praetorians :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on July 01, 2024, 08:36:45 PMDo it sneaky like. I don't know enough about how governors work. Do they assemble somewhere? If not hold a party. Either way get them all together and send in the praetorians :D

That might work.  Tell them that there is a 16-year-old virgin nymphomaniac waiting for them in hotel room in Vegas.  It worked for Jeffrey Epstein.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

It's amazing how two incredibly close elections, which weren't even won by popular vote, managed to have such far-reaching consequences for the country.

Syt

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 01, 2024, 02:38:17 PM
Quote from: Jacob on July 01, 2024, 01:04:20 PMIf Biden loses he should carry out a coup, then. First order if business should be to arrest perfidious Supreme Court justices.

Why wait? The US Military should be arresting any Republican officials right now.

I think SCOTUS have declared courts (and by extension themselves) arbiter of what is and isn't "official business" that grants immunity, so they can clamp down on Democrat presidents while giving free reign to Republicans (if I understand correctly).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: PJL on July 01, 2024, 01:01:28 PMSo is this effectively the equivalent of the Enabling Act? Is democracy in the USA now dead?

No.  He can still be impeached.

The Brain

Attempting a coup isn't Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors, which makes impeachment a bit toothless.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

Quote from: The Brain on July 02, 2024, 02:44:53 AMAttempting a coup isn't Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors, which makes impeachment a bit toothless.
I though the vagueness of "high crimes" makes Impeachment a political, not legal process, and that you can basically impeach for whatever reason you find a majority for.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza on July 02, 2024, 02:52:06 AMI though the vagueness of "high crimes" makes Impeachment a political, not legal process, and that you can basically impeach for whatever reason you find a majority for.

That's my understanding.  Impeachment is nonreviewable.

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 02, 2024, 02:59:07 AM
Quote from: Zanza on July 02, 2024, 02:52:06 AMI though the vagueness of "high crimes" makes Impeachment a political, not legal process, and that you can basically impeach for whatever reason you find a majority for.

That's my understanding.  Impeachment is nonreviewable.

So ideally bwforw a coup the outgoing preaident should make sure they have a Congress majority, otherwise they risk being officially told off for the coup attempt.

Sheilbh

Quote from: DGuller on July 01, 2024, 11:19:35 PMIt's amazing how two incredibly close elections, which weren't even won by popular vote, managed to have such far-reaching consequences for the country.
If Trump wins a second term, then I think this will be the Trump era. If the Democrats beat him then I think the defining, key figure of those two elections, their consequences and the last 15 years is Mitch McConnell.

I'd argue on his terms and in terms of fulfilling the 50 year project of the conservative legal movement he's the most significant Republican this side of Reagan.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

Quote from: HVC on July 01, 2024, 08:29:38 PM
Quote from: grumbler on July 01, 2024, 08:25:42 PM
Quote from: frunk on July 01, 2024, 07:56:12 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on July 01, 2024, 07:16:51 PM

Better (or more mild?) might be to just revoke nullify the of power judicial review from the USSC...or invoke zombie Andrew Jackson and just ignore them/prosecute anyway.

Even more mild would be to get an amendment passed overriding this nonsense, threatening anyone who votes against it.

You could get such an amendment proposed by those means, but you couldn't get it ratified.  Governors have their own armies.

Lock up the governors and don't release them until they ratify :contract:

Like what they used to do to Catholic cardinals.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Razgovory

Even if we beat Trump this time, we won't hold the White House indefinably.  Eventually some bastard is going to get in and the Supreme Court has said they can do whatever they want.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Oexmelin

At this point, I can't see what sort of scruples could hold off naming a bunch of additional Justices to the Supreme Court. Buy some Republicans if you must. They sell for cheap.
Que le grand cric me croque !