News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 28, 2024, 01:00:13 PM
Quote from: Josephus on May 28, 2024, 08:00:31 AMHonestly the accents are the last thing that bothered me about Napoleon.

I did preface my comment by saying that if one ignored all the historical errors etc. it still failed.

I know you did. But then the thread devolved into a discussion of the accents. That was what my response was to

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on May 28, 2024, 04:14:19 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 28, 2024, 01:00:13 PM
Quote from: Josephus on May 28, 2024, 08:00:31 AMHonestly the accents are the last thing that bothered me about Napoleon.

I did preface my comment by saying that if one ignored all the historical errors etc. it still failed.

I know you did. But then the thread devolved into a discussion of the accents. That was what my response was to

:thumbsup:

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 28, 2024, 01:24:06 PMWatched The Searchers for the first time.  After all the hype I was disappointed.

Probably one of my favorite, but understated John Wayne films is "The Train Robbers". 

The Brain

In Top Secret, why is the resistance speaking with a French accent? They're in East Germany FFS.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on May 29, 2024, 12:49:31 AMIn Top Secret, why is the resistance speaking with a French accent? They're in East Germany FFS.

Because it was the French Resistance.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on May 29, 2024, 01:22:13 AM
Quote from: The Brain on May 29, 2024, 12:49:31 AMIn Top Secret, why is the resistance speaking with a French accent? They're in East Germany FFS.

Because it was the French Resistance.

In East Germany? The movie seems nonsensical to me.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Josquius on May 28, 2024, 03:24:46 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on May 28, 2024, 02:11:27 AMSo I cannot do an Arnold Schwarzenegger accent any longer?  :(

Thats less an accent and rather just his voice no?
Or is there a whole region of Austria where everyone actually talk that way in English?- can't say I've ever ran into them.

It is a weird one how doing accents is somethings considered OK whilst other times not. And it goes beyond mere intent.

So if I do a Schwarzenegger accent, but while trying to portray the Archduke Ferdinand...that would be offensive?  :P

Josquius

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 29, 2024, 01:54:54 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on May 28, 2024, 02:11:27 AMSo I cannot do an Arnold Schwarzenegger accent any longer?  :(

Or is there a whole region of Austria where everyone actually talk that way in English?- can't say I've ever ran into them.

It is a weird one how doing accents is somethings considered OK whilst other times not. And it goes beyond mere intent.

So if I do a Schwarzenegger accent, but while trying to portray the Archduke Ferdinand...that would be offensive?  :P

That is a quandary.
Though a film I want to see.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Josquius on May 29, 2024, 02:09:42 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on May 29, 2024, 01:54:54 AM

That is a quandary.
Though a film I want to see.

I doubt Archduke Ferdindand spoke like a Styrian commoner.  :P

Tonitrus

They were both born near Graz.  :mad:

Syt

About half way through Season 10 of Cheers. Nanny G is first introduced (who will later re-appear in Season 11 of Frasier, with the famous self-referential line, "Do you have any idea what it's like to play the same character for 20 years???").

I liked the episode, but seeing Emma Thompson with an American accent is just plain wrong and I will not stand for it. :mad:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Severance- Take an episode of Black Mirror and turn it into a series and you'll get something like this. I liked it by the end.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Quote from: Syt on January 05, 2024, 09:00:34 AMCheers Season 3 has the first appearance of Raye Birk as Twitchwell, Cliff's rival and extreme stickler for the rules and regulations of the postal service.

During the episode Cliff says about him, "Put a uniform on some guys, it turns them right into a fascist."

Considering that Birk would later be an interrogator for the totalitarian regime of Pres. Clarke in Babylon 5 that seems way too appropriate. :D

Twitchell returns in S10 (in the episode where Harry Connick Jr. has a crush on Rebecca). This time he also brings along another (future) Babylon 5 actor in Jim Norton who played the Ombuds in Season 2:

Jim Norton has a long and storied career, obviously, though I remember him best as Bishop Brennan on Father Ted.

(And he gets to use his angry bishop voice in this Cheers episode :D )
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Continuing to watch new Dr who.
The second episode... Again way too silly. Though subsequent two are alright. Especially the who lite one which is usually awful - oddly aging up the companion to look 30 or 40 makes her look substantially better :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

Under the Cherry Moon (1986)

A glowing tribute to Prince and his music, directed by and starring Prince. :) Unfortunately I just couldn't get past Kristin Scott Thomas's British accent which was jarring since everyone else in the the south of France speaks with an American accent.  That ruined an otherwise marvelous cinematic experience.   :(

;)

What should be a series of cliche (two hustlers both pursue a wealthy heiress, but then one falls in love with her) is saved from that by Prince's weird cinematic vision.  It's quite watchable, Prince's pronunciation of "Garcon" alone is worth the price of admission, but the story is a mess, Prince and Kristin Scott Thomas have no chemistry (or, at least when Kristin Scott Thomas is supposed to like Prince, the scenes where she's supposed to be repulsed by him are quite believable) and it has lines like "I'm my own man, just like Liberace." 

Prince and Jerome Benton have a lot more on-screen chemistry and are actually funny together; they probably could have gone on to do Abbot and Costello style routines if they had really wanted to.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock