News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

What's the worst is narrators of audio books about historical topics feeling the need to read translated quotes from non-English speakers by mimicking (or so they think) the person's accent. It is just degrading for everyone involved including the listener.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on May 27, 2024, 05:35:20 PMWhat's the worst is narrators of audio books about historical topics feeling the need to read translated quotes from non-English speakers by mimicking (or so they think) the person's accent. It is just degrading for everyone involved including the listener.

How wonderfully racist.
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

So I cannot do an Arnold Schwarzenegger accent any longer?  :(

Josquius

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 28, 2024, 02:11:27 AMSo I cannot do an Arnold Schwarzenegger accent any longer?  :(

Thats less an accent and rather just his voice no?
Or is there a whole region of Austria where everyone actually talk that way in English?- can't say I've ever ran into them.

It is a weird one how doing accents is somethings considered OK whilst other times not. And it goes beyond mere intent.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on May 27, 2024, 05:50:26 PM
Quote from: Tamas on May 27, 2024, 05:35:20 PMWhat's the worst is narrators of audio books about historical topics feeling the need to read translated quotes from non-English speakers by mimicking (or so they think) the person's accent. It is just degrading for everyone involved including the listener.

How wonderfully racist.

OMG I was listening to one about the Wars of the Roses and the narrator switched to these thick "French" and "Italian" accents all the time. Like WTF. It seriously made me struggle to finish the thing.

Duque de Bragança

How wonderfully racist.

Par for the course for dubbing. Not a problem for so bad it's good material.
Problem, that is not the case here.

HVC

Quote from: Tamas on May 28, 2024, 03:58:23 AM

How wonderfully racist.

OMG I was listening to one about the Wars of the Roses and the narrator switched to these thick "French" and "Italian" accents all the time. Like WTF. It seriously made me struggle to finish the thing.

I listen to a history podcast where the narrator does that, but he acknowledges how bad he is in a self deprecating way, which somehow makes it better.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tamas

Quote from: HVC on May 28, 2024, 07:24:01 AM

How wonderfully racist.

I listen to a history podcast where the narrator does that, but he acknowledges how bad he is in a self deprecating way, which somehow makes it better.

But why?

Maladict

How wonderfully racist.

Tom Holland did that regularly in The Rest is History, but less so recently

HVC

Quote from: Tamas on May 28, 2024, 07:32:31 AM

How wonderfully racist.

But why?

Guess because he's not making a genuine, but bad attempt. Like comparing a bad, but sincere, actor to a satire or comedy. One is cringe the other is purposeful.

That being said he doesn't do it often, and only when quoting letters.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

Honestly the accents are the last thing that bothered me about Napoleon.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josephus on May 28, 2024, 08:00:31 AMHonestly the accents are the last thing that bothered me about Napoleon.

word

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Josephus on May 28, 2024, 08:00:31 AMHonestly the accents are the last thing that bothered me about Napoleon.

Lousy icing on a bad cake?

crazy canuck

I did preface my comment by saying that if one ignored all the historical errors etc. it still failed.

Admiral Yi

Watched The Searchers for the first time.  After all the hype I was disappointed.